My Rescued Redtail...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
My other 2013 prediction, this Catfish would already be dead if I hadn't taken him... Never met anybody who had somuch disrespect for somebody trying to help another animal!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I got no additional advice for you about your outdoor pond but I am curious about how your gonna move such a beast when it gets closer and closer to its full grown size. I would imagine it would have a huge growth spurt in a pond granted if fed really good. Seems like a huge hassle to go back and forth every year with this guy. Maybe a wagon for when he is in the 2 foot range to move him from indoor to outdoors? I would just make the pond indoors big enough for him to stay permanently. Less stress on the RTC then moving 2 a year (indoor to out then outdoor back in). I have no idea what your weather is like but I know here in cali sometimes the weather will act a bit goofy and get cold during summer. If same were to happen out where you are it could be bad news for your fish. Just a few of my thoughts.

I give you props on trying to help out this little RTC out. I know I would have left him there but then again I have no place to put a 1000 gallon pond in my yard.

Oh any updated pictures on this guy?

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I'm upset that some people can't be helpful. you're doing a nice thing and he says something negative! Anyway best if luck and I do agree a lot of moving might be stressful.. Just thinking.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
I'm also interested to see how this pond ended up! I believe a greenhouse with thick plastic and a tarp covered in gravel or something insulating on the floor with a heating system in the pond would keep your pond warm all year round. Also, brilliant burn to the negative bloke!

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
while i agree that these fish should not be easily available in pet stores,to deter the unsuspecting keeper.i commend you for trying to give this beautiful fish a good life.if you are going to build a pond for it,i have a few ideas you may want to check out.if you can dig well below the frost line,like 8-10 feet,you can use geothermal heat in conjunction with a green house to keep your heating bill lower.this is recently being used in a few greenhouse operations in minnesota.it keeps the greenhouse temp around 65f year round.not sure if this will work for you or not,but something you can look into.i am sure this will have a hefty cost though..good luck with your fish.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Redtail Monster hasn't been back here since January 1st last year. I am sure this catfish is already given to someone else or dead by now.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
Redtail Monster hasn't been back here since January 1st last year. I am sure this catfish is already given to someone else or dead by now.
Come on dude, chill out, this is the reason why people live the forum community. Don't be so negative about it. He rescued the fish from certain death in a terrible environment and I'm sure he put it in a MUCH better tank/pond than what it came out of.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Come on dude, chill out, this is the reason why people live the forum community. Don't be so negative about it. He rescued the fish from certain death in a terrible environment and I'm sure he put it in a MUCH better tank/pond than what it came out of.
Only that's not what happened. He took a fish out of one crappy environment and put it in another one. For a tropical fish that tops off over 3' long and well over 100 lbs it is not practical to keep in a 180 gallon or an outdoor pond in a temperate environment. An indoor pond of at least 10,000 gallons would be appropriate but that's 10X larger than what he was planning.

People that think they are "rescuing" a fish like this are only exacerbating the problem. Encouraging others to purchase these fish as babies knowing they can give it to some ill informed rescuer when they no longer want it. Oftentimes the rescuers have no idea what the fish requires to stay healthy and have not figured out the economics of the costs involved in keeping it.

Sorry I can't be all happy smiles and encouragement. But there needs to be a reality check here somewhere.

What he was doing was wrong, and encouraging him to do so is also wrong.

Andy

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Only that's not what happened. He took a fish out of one crappy environment and put it in another one. For a tropical fish that tops off over 3' long and well over 100 lbs it is not practical to keep in a 180 gallon or an outdoor pond in a temperate environment. An indoor pond of at least 10,000 gallons would be appropriate but that's 10X larger than what he was planning.

People that think they are "rescuing" a fish like this are only exacerbating the problem. Encouraging others to purchase these fish as babies knowing they can give it to some ill informed rescuer when they no longer want it. Oftentimes the rescuers have no idea what the fish requires to stay healthy and have not figured out the economics of the costs involved in keeping it.

Sorry I can't be all happy smiles and encouragement. But there needs to be a reality check here somewhere.

What he was doing was wrong, and encouraging him to do so is also wrong.

Andy
I agree, Andy. Even the hobbyists on MFK dont like the sale of RTC. Alot of them wish that the sales could be based on the size aquarium you have and much more. These fish need more than what an average hobbyist can provide. Sure he was trying to help it but, in the end, he didnt do any justice by "rescueing" it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store