First time discus aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Connor.bonnicksen

AC Members
Mar 2, 2016
Eventually - when you've become familiar and comfortable with discus traits & behaviors, and they with your routine around the tank.
A little research should tell you whether or not Kuhli loaches can handle the higher discus temps ok. I believe so.
You mentioned before you could recommend a few good breeders? I live in Colorado i havent been able to find good local stock ill probably have to ship the fish in. any good places to look for mature stock?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Connor - I wasn't speaking of local hobbyist breeders per se, as almost all of them who have discus for sale will sell fish only in or around the 2" size- which I don't recommend being acquired by anyone but experienced discus-keepers who wish to grow them out in bare-bottom tanks. Also, variety (strains & colors) is always limited.

I was referring to well-regarded commercial discus importers and suppliers of high quality discus who carry large numbers of discus of several different varieties ( and many sizes) at any one time.

However, there are none very near to your location, and the only 2 of them that I would highly recommend in that category, that are nearer than most others, are Chicago Discus ( contact Josie or Miranda), or Kenny's Discus in Daly City, Ca. (near S.F. - contact Kenny Cheung). Both are excellent suppliers with top-notch reputations who sell at reasonable prices and guarantee live delivery anywhere in the U.S. - you can google for either one's website. I'd suggest Kenny, who is arguably considered the best discus supplier in all the U.S. by many discus-keepers.

Reactions: wesleydnunder

Connor.bonnicksen

AC Members
Mar 2, 2016
Connor - I wasn't speaking of local hobbyist breeders per se, as almost all of them who have discus for sale will sell fish only in or around the 2" size- which I don't recommend being acquired by anyone but experienced discus-keepers who wish to grow them out in bare-bottom tanks. Also, variety (strains & colors) is always limited.

I was referring to well-regarded commercial discus importers and suppliers of high quality discus who carry large numbers of discus of several different varieties ( and many sizes) at any one time.

However, there are none very near to your location, and the only 2 of them that I would highly recommend in that category, that are nearer than most others, are Chicago Discus ( contact Josie or Miranda), or Kenny's Discus in Daly City, Ca. (near S.F. - contact Kenny Cheung). Both are excellent suppliers with top-notch reputations who sell at reasonable prices and guarantee live delivery anywhere in the U.S. - you can google for either one's website. I'd suggest Kenny, who is arguably considered the best discus supplier in all the U.S. by many discus-keepers.
Oh no i understood that you were referring to well established breeders i was just saying that local stock is.... less than desirable and im not well rehearsed in discus if can see that the stock is iffy just based off the forehead and eye ratio then i know its not where i want to get my fish. thank you for pointing me to those two ill look them up

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Hey sorry, Connor, I forgot one that is quite a bit closer to you that you might want to check out. I don't think it would make much difference in the shipping cost than getting the fish from Kenny, but maybe.

It's 'Spirits of the Amazon LLC' - contact Jamie or Nate Elder - located in San Tan Valley, Arizona (Phoenix area)

P.S. Also called 'Arizona Discus'.

Last edited:
Reactions: wesleydnunder

Connor.bonnicksen

AC Members
Mar 2, 2016
Hey sorry, Connor, I forgot one that is quite a bit closer to you that you might want to check out. I don't think it would make much difference in the shipping cost than getting the fish from Kenny, but maybe.

It's 'Spirits of the Amazon LLC' - contact Jamie or Nate Elder - located in San Tan Valley, Arizona (Phoenix area)

P.S. Also called 'Arizona Discus'.
thats quite alright thank you for adding to my list, ive reached out to Kenny who has already been informative and helpful ill be taking a look at his march stock soon. I cant even begin to express my gratitude in meeting you Paul, when i have my tank established ill post some photos!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've heard nothing but very good things about Kenny's discus. He's local to me so next time I get discus they'll most probably be from him.

Kulhi loaches are OK up to ~82F, adult discus temps. Most hillstream loaches like more flow & lower temps than discus (more oxygenation really). Check out loaches.com & seriouslyfish.com

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Connor, kuhlis do fine with discus and will actually breed alongside them. I kept kuhlis with my discus for many years.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store