Discolouration in my goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
I've been keeping goldfish and/or smaller fish for about 3 years now, each of them dies around the 1 year mark due to reasons like one fish eating all of the holiday food themselves or poor water quality in general.
Lately i've noticed that one of my gold fish has gone pretty much completely white and some parts of the skin has gone slightly trabslucent. At first it wasn't too noticable but currently it is white spare a few small orange spots. It's behaviour is fairly normal so i'm not sure what could be happening to it. Please help

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hoping this isn't a one hit wonder, but goldfish can change color. One of my fancies that's a few years old went from a bright orange to a pale yellow/white over time. Given your overfeeding and lack of care statement, that could be the cause as well.

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
What are your water parameters? What's the tank size? What is your maintenance routine?
Ammonia : 0.06ppm
Nitrite : 0.75ppm
Nitrate : 30ppm
PH : 7

Not sure about tank size and i change about 50% of thw water once a week

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
Hoping this isn't a one hit wonder, but goldfish can change color. One of my fancies that's a few years old went from a bright orange to a pale yellow/white over time. Given your overfeeding and lack of care statement, that could be the cause as well.
The fish thats going white, I've kept for less than a year. I don't know how old it was before i bought it but judging by it's size, it looks quite young.
I don't overfeed my fish in general, a pinch of flakes at the morning around 7:30 - 8:00 and once at night around 11:00. It'a only that one of the bigger goldfish ate the majority (i can't comfirm this as we were on holiday) of a holiday food stick.
Also i've been regularly changing the water after another goldfish died of poor water quality.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The water parameters are not ideal right now, unfortunately. I would suggest upping your water changes to two 50% changes a week.
It may be unrelated, but it could be part of the cause. I would also look into the quality of your food. Differences in vitamin and nutrient quantities can result in changes as well.
Has he had any changes in behaviour?

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
The water parameters are not ideal right now, unfortunately. I would suggest upping your water changes to two 50% changes a week.
It may be unrelated, but it could be part of the cause. I would also look into the quality of your food. Differences in vitamin and nutrient quantities can result in changes as well.
Has he had any changes in behaviour?
Unfortunately in fairly busy during the weekdays so the best i'm able to do currently is a 50% change on the weekends. The situation may change in the future, freeing up more time, so i'll keep that in mind.
Also no the behaviour hasn't changed much same old swimming to the surface when i'm near then swimming down. But occasionally all 3 of them has wierd swimming patterns like swimming stright up, accidentally flipping upside down or pointing downwards, not moving. I have put some medicene in for swim bladder problems and they have improved.

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
Unfortunately in fairly busy during the weekdays so the best i'm able to do currently is a 50% change on the weekends. The situation may change in the future, freeing up more time, so i'll keep that in mind.
Also no the behaviour hasn't changed much same old swimming to the surface when i'm near then swimming down. But occasionally all 3 of them has wierd swimming patterns like swimming stright up, accidentally flipping upside down or pointing downwards, not moving. I have put some medicene in for swim bladder problems and they have improved.
I had used to feed them the red one, but i ran out so now i feed them the orange one. When i run out, i'll go buy more red ones.

20170103_123623.jpg

20170103_123651.jpg

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
Also another problem has emerged. The skin is going beyond white and its now transparent and i'm pretty sure i can see it's brain. I haven't got a good picture right now but i'll upload one when i do

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The food you have is pretty low quality. I would suggest supplementing with leafy greens and peas. Also soak the food before feeding it so that the fish is not eating from the surface. Additionally, giving the fish an orange slice for about an hour once a week can help to keep colors darker.
The skin going transparent is not natural. If you can only do water changes once a week then I suggest closer to a 75% change on the weekend. Unless your tank is huge, a water change should take maybe a half hour tops. I would strongly suggest taking the time. If you absolutely don't have it, I would suggest finding a species of fish that does not produce as much waste and thus will only need a once a week water change. Goldfish are dirty, require a lot of maintenance, get very large, and live for many, many years.

Reactions: Drocagen
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store