Impatient is my middle name

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
How many days into the fish food (no fish yet) method of cycling should I expect to see the amonia start to climb? I used API quick start when I filled my tank 5 days ago and so far the amonia level is at .25ppm. Even though the bottle says I can add fish now I'm really hesitant to do so but with the Quick Start have I actually speeded up the process? I've also noticed two tiny shrimp flitting around the bottom of the tank, any idea of what kind they may be or how large they could grow? They're about 1/4 inch or less and all over grey. I assume they hitched a ride on my plants.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you have a liquid test kit?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Fishless cycling by adding "pure" ammonia typically takes 4-6 weeks. Adding fish food, waiting for it to break down and form ammonia will probably add another week to that. Long story short, you need EXTREME patience.

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
Fishless cycling by adding "pure" ammonia typically takes 4-6 weeks. Adding fish food, waiting for it to break down and form ammonia will probably add another week to that. Long story short, you need EXTREME patience.
Do you think the API Quick Start is just a waste of money?

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
In my opinion, I wouldn't by anything "quick". Best option is to grab media from filter from established aquarium. Whatever bioload that media was filtering, add to your aquarium. Now you have a cycle that's started. I could never let my tank sit empty for a month.

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
In my opinion, I wouldn't by anything "quick". Best option is to grab media from filter from established aquarium. Whatever bioload that media was filtering, add to your aquarium. Now you have a cycle that's started. I could never let my tank sit empty for a month.
(heavy sigh) If I knew someone with an aquarium that's what I'd do. Lol....I'm close to posting on Craigslist and offering $10 for a used filter cartridge.

Reactions: Teddy's Mom

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've done the "fish food" cycle & Freshy is right, it takes at least as long as ammonia, if not more. There are a couple products that have the correct bacteria (Tetra Safe Start & Dr Tim's 1 & Only) but I don't know API's (many have the "wrong" bacteria that helps but not so much). & I've never used any of them. Unless you're willing to risk a "a few fish in at a time, slow cycle" (risking diseases at every addition), grit your teeth, rearrange décor...& wait. In the meantime, research fish you like that fit your tank. We can help with this...before you buy an Oscar!, lol.

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
I've seen really good reviews from Dr Tim's One and Only...if it's shipped properly, it can reduce the fishless cycle time down to 1-2 weeks (and it looks like it only takes that long to do the testing to ENSURE it worked and the bacteria didn't somehow die in transit/storage). You'll need a pure ammonia source though, as it can take time for the bacteria that breaks down food into ammonia to develop. Considering its like $10 to treat 60 gallons from DrFosterSmith right now, One and Only seems like a good option.

Some of the instant cycling products don't use the correct species of bacteria (Different species of bacteria are used in sewage treatment, where ammonia and nitrite levels were 100s or even 1000s of times higher than we'd ever see in an aquarium, and the earlier products used the sewage species and can't adapt to the lower concentrations found in aquaria). I understand Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tim's use the correct species, but Dr Tim's is supposed to be better/more reliable. (From what I've read, Dr Tim found the correct species during his doctoral thesis, and later Tetra bought the rights to his original freshwater "formula" which used to be branded under BioSpira, and he came up with an improved formula for One and Only.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store