Impatient is my middle name

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

William Harris

AC Members
Oct 10, 2016
How many days into the fish food (no fish yet) method of cycling should I expect to see the amonia start to climb? I used API quick start when I filled my tank 5 days ago and so far the amonia level is at .25ppm. Even though the bottle says I can add fish now I'm really hesitant to do so but with the Quick Start have I actually speeded up the process? I've also noticed two tiny shrimp flitting around the bottom of the tank, any idea of what kind they may be or how large they could grow? They're about 1/4 inch or less and all over grey. I assume they hitched a ride on my plants.

William Harris

AC Members
Oct 10, 2016
Sounds like you have a couple of ghost shrimp...I think any other kind of shrimp with a dollar value would not have made that ride. Also quick start is great I prefer Prime however I use them both and add my fish immediately been working for me for years with no casualties

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Agreed with above comments on using cycled media from an established tank. Moved from Ohio to Kansas (~850 miles) a few years ago. Brought several 5 gal buckets of fish with a couple inches of mature tank gravel on the bottom. Lost 2 fish in move, but no problems establishing new tanks once arrived. The nice thing is...once you have established tanks you should never have to cycle a tank ever again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store