Could Someone tell me???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Is it ok to feed my Oscars, Flower Horn and Polypterus Chicken Sauage???
do you see a grease-slick on the water when you feed it to them? I feed my cichlids some terrestrial-based proteins but I unplug my filters for an hour or so until they "mop it all up" - currently trout baked in foil is the entrée. Beef Heart would be something to compare it too, but only as a treat.

Do you cook it with NO seasonings? I would not give them seasonings, but I don't see a problem with chicken sausage as long as it doesn't grease-up your water quality....if it does, use it as just a treat the day before your normal 60-90% water changes....

...and as a cichlid-owner, you definitely should be doing 60-90% at water changes

They say cooking it removes a lot of nutrients, but I have experienced an amazing growth rate for the past month or 2 while feeding broken-up pieces of trout-on-the-bone, bones removed after cooking of course

Anything wild-caught by yourself should be cooked if it is not frozen at -5 degrees F to kill pathogens

Reactions: krichardson

Avo Rifau

AC Members
Feb 14, 2017
do you see a grease-slick on the water when you feed it to them? I feed my cichlids some terrestrial-based proteins but I unplug my filters for an hour or so until they "mop it all up" - currently trout baked in foil is the entrée. Beef Heart would be something to compare it too, but only as a treat.

Do you cook it with NO seasonings? I would not give them seasonings, but I don't see a problem with chicken sausage as long as it doesn't grease-up your water quality....if it does, use it as just a treat the day before your normal 60-90% water changes....

...and as a cichlid-owner, you definitely should be doing 60-90% at water changes

They say cooking it removes a lot of nutrients, but I have experienced an amazing growth rate for the past month or 2 while feeding broken-up pieces of trout-on-the-bone, bones removed after cooking of course

Anything wild-caught by yourself should be cooked if it is not frozen at -5 degrees F to kill pathogens
Thank you so much for your reply...
Yes I do see a grease-slick on top... So I keep the power head off until feeding is done. So I just wanna know whether it's ok to feed them Chicken Sausage uncooked? I give them raw chicken breasts as well as it is difficult to get anything else over here since this is MALDIVES ISLANDS.
Now that the Polypterus is in the same tank as the Oscars it is difficult to feed him without feeding the others.
Had to separate the Flower Horn as she is getting more and more aggressive days by day... Any Idea how I can tame her???

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Your not going to tame the Flowerhorn or Oscars. Curious, what size tank do you have, volume and footprint? How many Oscars?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Curious of those specifics as well.

Why the need to feed them something like chicken sausage? Something like this could have a negative effect on your water parameters and be nutritionally poor for the fish. I'm an oscar keeper as well, but feed a quality pellet food as the main staple, with freeze dried goods 1-2x/week and occasional veggies or fruit.

Avo Rifau

AC Members
Feb 14, 2017
Your not going to tame the Flowerhorn or Oscars. Curious, what size tank do you have, volume and footprint? How many Oscars?

One Tiger Oscar 5" and One Albino Oscar 5" and One Flower Horn (Which I have already separated) 5" and a an 6" Polypterus.
Tank Size length 70.23 gallon.
I know it's a small tank for these guys but this is a temp tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That tank would really only be adequate for a single oscar by itself. I keep an oscar and a green severum in a 75g, which is not a combo that will always work and you have to be diligent to keep nitrates ~20ppm or under.

Reactions: Avo Rifau

Avo Rifau

AC Members
Feb 14, 2017
^ Curious of those specifics as well.

Why the need to feed them something like chicken sausage? Something like this could have a negative effect on your water parameters and be nutritionally poor for the fish. I'm an oscar keeper as well, but feed a quality pellet food as the main staple, with freeze dried goods 1-2x/week and occasional veggies or fruit.[/QUOTE

It is not the need to feed em sausages I tried it and they seem to enjoy it but a friend of mine told me not cause of the fat in it. That's why I thought of asking you guys for your opinion and advise. I too feed them pellet food, but my Polypterus prefers live fish which is a bit expensive and he doesn't like Tuna that much. So sausage is the next alternative for me...

Avo Rifau

AC Members
Feb 14, 2017
That tank would really only be adequate for a single oscar by itself. I keep an oscar and a green severum in a 75g, which is not a combo that will always work and you have to be diligent to keep nitrates ~20ppm or under.
Like I said a temporary tank for them I am making a bigger one. 5 feet in length 2 feet wide and 4 feet in height...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wouldn't recommend less than a 6ft tank for an oscar with tankmates. Definitely not a 4ft height. That's a nightmare for maintenance. The larger the footprint the better.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store