What is considered "heavily planted"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like it! Pretty betta! I would call it light- medium planted allowing for growth. Almost like Italian formal gardens, very symmetrical.

How long are your lights on? I'd try no more than 7 or 8 hours, algae love long days. I agree Excel can help with many algae forms, but not diatoms IME. Diatoms should go away soon but if it bugs you, you can gently wipe off the most affected leaves with your fingers before a water change. WCs are also a good time to dose Excel. When the water level is low squirt (w/ syringe) a "tank's worth" right onto the hair or other alga then refill. My hairgrass was especially prone to it...but I didn't have co2.

The new stauro growth looks good! But as said, keep an eye on the swords. Some stay smallish (Tropica is 1)...but yours don't look like them. It is possible to sort of "bonsai" them for a while, roots will likely grow large. But you can remove too tall of leaves...for a while.

You can also try moving your light toward the front of the tank for the stauro & HG, anubias &, to some extent, the swords can do with a bit less. Is the lego light support sturdy?...kids, pets & klutzes like me might need something safer. Just a thought, lol.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Excel will do more than just be a source of carbon in the water, it also acts to kill algae, which is more why u suggest it here.

Dosing less ferts might also help with the algae... Or some fast growing plants, to use nutrients before the algae does.

But keep an eye on the swords, just in case. Their roots can get everywhere.
So you're suggesting I should start dosing Excel on top of my co2? Being very new to ALL of this I wasn't sure it could be done without depleting the oxygen in the water. Would it help rid the diatoms?

I only dose half the recommended ferts on the bottle. My reasoning behind that was my plants were still young and didn't require the full dose. My tank wasn't overrun with green algae, it was only growing on the anubias when I had them free floating near the very surface. I since anchored them lower around the house which seems to have helped out. No green algae so far this week!

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
I like it! Pretty betta! I would call it light- medium planted allowing for growth. Almost like Italian formal gardens, very symmetrical.

How long are your lights on? I'd try no more than 7 or 8 hours, algae love long days. I agree Excel can help with many algae forms, but not diatoms IME. Diatoms should go away soon but if it bugs you, you can gently wipe off the most affected leaves with your fingers before a water change. WCs are also a good time to dose Excel. When the water level is low squirt (w/ syringe) a "tank's worth" right onto the hair or other alga then refill. My hairgrass was especially prone to it...but I didn't have co2.

The new stauro growth looks good! But as said, keep an eye on the swords. Some stay smallish (Tropica is 1)...but yours don't look like them. It is possible to sort of "bonsai" them for a while, roots will likely grow large. But you can remove too tall of leaves...for a while.

You can also try moving your light toward the front of the tank for the stauro & HG, anubias &, to some extent, the swords can do with a bit less. Is the lego light support sturdy?...kids, pets & klutzes like me might need something safer. Just a thought, lol.
Thank you! I'm quite fond of my dumbo halfmoon <3

The dimensions of this tank are tricky. Actual space not including the filter compartment is approx 17x6 inches. Not a lot of space to work with. Had no plan when setting this up, more of a "what will fit" thought process.

My lights are on from 10 am to 8pm. I might give my boys their LEGO's back, put the light secured where it should go...;), cut the lights at noon, back on at 2, off for good at 8pm. That will take it from 10 hours to 8. My cat will be 20 in February...she doesn't do kitchen counters anymore :D My kids know power and water are not a good mix so they've been steering clear too. But yeah...totally a hazard. I will be fixing that LOL!

2 weeks ago I carefully removed each and every repens and cleaned every single leaf using q-tips...lots and lots of q-tips. They were pristine...and now...this :confused:. Diatoms...how long is their cycle supposed to be?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, removing all the stauro & replanting?!? NO! I meant like rubbing the heavily diatomed leaves with your fingers just before a water change. But really, it doesn't help all that much...it's going to be 2 or 3 months hopefully. Less light will help.

How much & how often are you feeding the betta? I know it's tempting to feed him every time he wiggles to you, so cute! but extra food & poo add to the "diatom" problem (read "crap"). What & how much are you feeding? Bettas can be quite piggy & lazy. Does your family eat frozen peas? A tiny bit of pea "guts" can be a good extra food, but no more than 3 bites or so at a feeding of any food, no matter how he begs, twice a day, max. 2 kids?, let each give 1 pellet/flake, whatever after he eats the first.

I know you're anti-snail, but maybe an Amano shrimp or 2? They might help with the diatoms &/or uneaten food. Cherry shrimp are also a possibility, but Mr. Betta might eat them. Your plants will help protect them. A "mystery snail" is another possible tankmate or a ramshorn snail or 2 (not pond snails). All are quite interesting & kids like them IME. Just a thought...

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Wow, removing all the stauro & replanting?!? NO! I meant like rubbing the heavily diatomed leaves with your fingers just before a water change. But really, it doesn't help all that much...it's going to be 2 or 3 months hopefully. Less light will help.

How much & how often are you feeding the betta? I know it's tempting to feed him every time he wiggles to you, so cute! but extra food & poo add to the "diatom" problem (read "crap"). What & how much are you feeding? Bettas can be quite piggy & lazy. Does your family eat frozen peas? A tiny bit of pea "guts" can be a good extra food, but no more than 3 bites or so at a feeding of any food, no matter how he begs, twice a day, max. 2 kids?, let each give 1 pellet/flake, whatever after he eats the first.

I know you're anti-snail, but maybe an Amano shrimp or 2? They might help with the diatoms &/or uneaten food. Cherry shrimp are also a possibility, but Mr. Betta might eat them. Your plants will help protect them. A "mystery snail" is another possible tankmate or a ramshorn snail or 2 (not pond snails). All are quite interesting & kids like them IME. Just a thought...
Yep, I did that...each and every repens. They were pristine! But all that work was for nothing as it all came back. Not doing it again LOL!

My betta gets a varied diet. I feed him 2-3 OMEGA ONE Betta Buffet pellets at 8 am, again at 8 pm. Next day he'll get some brine shrimp (which I feed using tweezers, waiting for him to finish before giving him more). Back to pellets next day. Then he'll get 2-3 blood worms the following day. I have a small bag of organic frozen peas in my freezer with his name on the bag :p I thaw one, cut it in half, cut that half into smaller pieces and feed it to him with the tweezers. He loves them! There is never any uneaten food...trust me on this one :rolleyes: I know exactly what dance you're talking about!!! I have 2 kids...I have learned to say "no" and know what's good for them. Same rules apply to this little guy ;)

I was thinking of adding an oto since I heard they may help with diatoms...but I want to research first. If they're a type of fish that need a school of 6 to be happy, my 5 gallon may have issues with the bioload...unless I add them 1 at a time spaced out over several weeks. Between the plants, the sponge and the 2 bags of Fluval Biomax ceramic rings...that may be possible?? I would LOVE to add shrimp, but I don't know if my tank is "aged" enough, and if Mr. Fishy is going to eat them...well...back to square 1 LOL!

Thanks so much for chiming in Fishorama! You've been nothing but helpful :)

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I have kept one otto in a 10 gallon by itself due to space and food limitations. I have seen that they are more active with more otos together. I have observed that for the long term about one oto per 10 gallons is what will survive without supplemental feeding. I personally have not tried one in a tank smaller than 10 gallons. I know people put pieces of various vegetables weighted down in the tank temporarily for larger herbivorous plecos, but I haven't tried that with otos. They will go after algae wafers so that is an option for feeding them beyond what they graze from the tank.

They make short work of diatoms.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
I have kept one otto in a 10 gallon by itself due to space and food limitations. I have seen that they are more active with more otos together. I have observed that for the long term about one oto per 10 gallons is what will survive without supplemental feeding. I personally have not tried one in a tank smaller than 10 gallons. I know people put pieces of various vegetables weighted down in the tank temporarily for larger herbivorous plecos, but I haven't tried that with otos. They will go after algae wafers so that is an option for feeding them beyond what they graze from the tank.

They make short work of diatoms.
I picked up two 10 gallon tanks and a 20 gal long a couple of weeks ago. Petco was having their dollar per gallon sale. Couldn't resist! My plan down the road is to put my betta in one of the 10 gallon tanks so adding an oto will be perfect! I might add it before the betta goes in to reduce the territorial behaviour issue that may arise. I think I'll retire the Fluval Spec 5 as a hospital/QT.

I read Hikari makes an excellent algae wafer, and many say zucchini added once the lights are off are a good way to supplement the oto's diet.

Thank you SnakeIce! Appreciate your input as always :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
dougall, I think your links might be meant for the poster asking for where to buy high end bettas in General Freshwater.

Jennifer, I would not get just 1 oto, they really do better in a group. I've had a lone survivor a few times & always feel sad for it, but not enough to add more for 1 aging oto. If you decide to try them look for ones that look well fed & if possible see them eat &/or poo. They often are starved & may not recover, many don't.

Hikari algae wafers are ok but some others have better ingredients. Omega 1 algae wafers look much better. In all foods, read the label. Wheat should not be among the first few items, some for a binder is ok.

I use Repashy Soilent Green gel food for my auf wuchs grazers (hillstream loaches & gobies). I haven't kept otos since discovering this food but I may in the future. Auf wuchs are not just algae but the tiny microcritters that live in & on the algae, sources of protein & other good stuff. Auf wuchs are really what most "alge eaters" live on.

I love how varied your betta's diet is! Fabulous! I admit to never giving organic peas, now I feel like a cheap slacker, lol.

If you like shrimp, I strongly suggest adding an Amano, they're bigger than cherry shrimp but not as pretty. See if it'll help with diatoms & how aggressive your betta may be toward tankmates. I think you & your kids might like it & maybe want a second. The other good thing is shrimp don't carry many diseases that effect fish, so not having a quarantine tank is likely ok. Just don't add any lfs water...if you possibly can avoid it.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
dougall, I think your links might be meant for the poster asking for where to buy high end bettas in General Freshwater
Oops... You are right.

Being old, having a short attention span, trying to use my phone and being in the middle of making sausages was too much :/

Perhaps a staff member will be so kind to move it.

And sorry Jennifer.

I am really of the mind that otocinclus will do better in a group than one or two of them... And their behaviour is really quite awesome to see too.

Reactions: Jennifer G.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store