Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What is considered "heavily planted"?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by Jennifer G., Nov 22, 2017.

1. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Yesterday at 11:00 PM
    No excuses for being old, I am too!! lol, but no smart phone here...or sausage making either...Geez, I hope Shiela is appreciative of some of your skills...& you of hers...

2. dougall

dougall ...

Yesterday at 11:28 PM
    We were both making sausages ;)

3. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

Yesterday at 11:00 AM
    I got my betta Omega 1 pellets due to the ingredients vs the others...would only make sense to get their algae wafers too :) I've also heard nothing but good things about many Repashy type foods (fry powder, gel food etc). Will have to read up on where I can get some if I choose the oto route.

I would LOVE to have shrimp over any other "clean up crews". The issue might be my water parameters. I plan to order my fish from Rachel O'leary only because being new to all of this, she's the only person that I know that quarantine's everything that gets shipped to her. I'm sure there are others that do too, I just don't know who. According to her website (msjinkzd.com) the only shrimp I might be able to keep are Caridina cf. cantonensis "Tiger"...and maybe some Crystal Reds or Caridina cf. breviata "bumble bee".

I like how she adds who likes what Ph, kh, temp, size, diet etc. I have a Ph of 7.5 (without co2) 6.8 with co2. Kh of 3, Gh of 4. Ammonia is always at 0, same for nitrites. Nitrates only show 5ppm after dosing ferts but 3-4 days later my nitrates are also at 0-1ppm. The only thing I don't know is my tds...don't have one of those pen thingies yet. Per Rachels site, Amano's like a minimum of 8 kh. I'm no where near experienced enough to start tampering with stuff to change my parameters and I'd rather choose fish based on my individual tanks water readings. Safer that way I think.

4. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

No, no! I'm not opposed to browsing for quality bettas :D Please keep the link!

Your post made coffee nearly shoot out my nose btw! Hilarious!!

5. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

LOL! snort! @dougall@dougall

Jennifer, I haven't kept Amano shrimp (I hope you understood that) but there's a big "squish factor" as to their "ideal" vs "acceptable" parameters. I think Rachel is aces! But many of our animals can adapt to a wide range of conditions. A guy in my club breeds amanos even though they need a pelagic salt water "junior" grow out period. 1 shrimp to try? Yeah, do it, lol. Your water isn't too far off the map of "normal-ish".

6. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

I'd be willing to try a very long and gentle acclimation period for sure. I just cringe at the thought of killing something. Death due to not knowing what their water parameters are vs what I have is one thing... I really am trying to educate myself as much as I possibly can for the sake of the critters and to make things easier for me. There is SO MUCH info I've been cramming into my brain for the last 2 months...can be overwhelming at times. Worst part is knowing there is still SO MUCH to learn :eek:

7. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Today at 5:52 AM
    Joel
    You gals/guys had me at sausage....

But anyway.. Just to add to all the good stuff above, to me, heavily planted means your tank is all about the plants, with a some fish in there for effect.

I'm lucky in that my two tanks that contain plants, are very well filled out with these basic plants. I do absolutely nothing for them aside from provide lighting and weekly water changes. I do not vacuum the substrate in these tanks. I used to add a glutaral product for CO2 and various Seachem liquid ferts and occasional root tabs for the rooted plants. Kind of lost interest and stopped the adds. The plants continued on like nothing happened.

Plants are various anubia, java ferns, java moss, swords and crypts. Most were pathetic petsmart/co bag/tube plants in a previous life.

8. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

I say "heavily" planted has almost no substrate visible & not much tank area without plants...barely room for fish to swim, lol. A true "jungle"!! But hopefully not with a ton'o'duckweed like 2 of my tanks :(.

My river-ish tank probably qualifies, what with "jungle" val, crypts, java fen & moss, bolbitus & a couple stems heavily shaded by duckweed & val. I don't really try to "scape" this tank, I often just rip out handfuls of plants, scoop out duckweed & rinse prefilters each water change.

This definition of heavily planted is pretty much what I mean when I say silent cycling, wall to wall plants...but my sewellia breed & I "think" my danios do too, so I'm happy with it.

My tank, like Freshy's, has been set up for years, 5+ years in my case. Lots of poo & leaf debris rotting into the substrate to provide food...for plants & fry.

Jennifer, your tank has enough plants for your betta & an Amano shrimp or 2 even though most are medium/slow growers. You're doing it right!! (except for that uprooting staurogyne thing, lol).

We're going to need more pics in a bit...

You might ask to see water test results from your lfs., or take home a tank water sample & test yourself. Those numbers will help you to decide how long you acclimation needs to be. Of course we can help, but I tend to go long on that, :cool:, it's all good!

9. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

The plants I have in my tank are also the pathetic bag/tube ones from those exact chains too. Selection is pretty slim, they're sickly looking...but they had me at "snail/pest free". :rolleyes:

10. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G. AC Members

I've been to the Petsmart/Co and the 1 and only mom&pop petstore that doesn't only cater to cats and dogs with the tiniest fish section/selection area. The big chains scare me tbh. Everytime time I've been in there I always see 2-5 dead fish in varying degrees of decay in a few of their tanks (oddly enough not the crazy overstocked goldfish tank though). I'm assuming they're all running on a single filtration system so I'm paranoid they're all infested with the plague. As for mom&pop...feeder fish, guppies, a knifefish and oscars...ugh o_O

I plan to order from Rachel. I know she has a youtube video where she tells her parameters, but I plan on emailing her to discuss details where I'll share with her mine and figure out what will do best, tank size and fish numbers. I trust her :)