PALDARIUM VIVARIUM I'M UNSURE BUT I THINK YOU'LL LIKE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Its a sad day! the last of the finches has passed away. He was found swimming and doing a poor job of it in the top of the aquarium. He could be seen constantly in the water fall bathing evn sleeping in a cave behind the falls but allas he just faltered at the doggie paddle and has passed away. If im not mistaken the finches were above the tank for 6 years, and other then to clean off excessive dropping on the top of the lights once a year there was no clean up required. plants grew and would shed the stains and everything else seemed to end up in the tank and filtered or eaten by the fish. i know a bigger question is what the tank looks like today and i will try to get some photo's posted soon.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Sorry to hear you lost the last of your finches BUT this has been am amazing thread. Do you plan to replace the birds or is that or is that no longer part of the equation? Eager to see updated pics

Again, sorry for the loss

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
No the bird experiment is over i have been traveling for years now and the wife has maintained the tank. While i have done the major items like filter cleanings pruning etc. The tank still remains better then anything you'll see in the average fish store. Yet it's a glimmer of her once glory. Not sure if i ever posted i did change the lights over to led raid programmables and i have been very happy with them.

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Well 2016 has brought an end to the Palladium.After traveling for business for 8 years the tank has suffered it's last. The Tank the experiment, the break the rules and nature finds a way has fought her last battle. I hope to try again some day, and see what i can come up with next !! Good luck with your Projects Never let anyone say You can't do that i had a cedar tree stump with a waterfall made of Coral and Birds breeding above an open top tank. No ferts some co2 and i miss it already and the sheet rock isn't even dry yet.....

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
a real shame to see this one gone the way of all flesh. 6 years is a pretty long run for a finch, and keeping that entire ecosystem running so well remains astonishing. well done.

when the fever eventually pulls you back to building a new one, let us know!

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
a real shame to see this one gone the way of all flesh. 6 years is a pretty long run for a finch, and keeping that entire ecosystem running so well remains astonishing. well done.

when the fever eventually pulls you back to building a new one, let us know!
The fever has bit once again but this time in a much larger scale. I have moved the planted tank to the outdoors. I started on building what some call a Natural Water Garden. Its is basically a outdoor pond the size of a swimming pool with boulders and stone in the pond instead of a concrete smooth finish it is more Natural with the rock laying ontop of an 45 mil epdm rubber liner. It's in the neighborhood of 12,000 gallons with a 65 foot long stream that will have at least 4 or five water falls from 6" tall to 2 feet tall. that will have a 8' x 12' x 5' deep bog . the idea is all the water to be filtered gets pushed into the bottom of the bog similar to a reverse flow undergravel filter but that is planted with bog plants that will strip the water column of nitrates phosphates and denitrous. here is a link to the blog of the build
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/

And here is one video that persuaded me to build this beast

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
another small, short-term project, eh?

good luck! send us pics as you go. maybe start a new thread in the pond-building section?

are you going to screen in your whole backyard and make it a walk-in aviary as well?

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
another small, short-term project, eh?

good luck! send us pics as you go. maybe start a new thread in the pond-building section?

are you going to screen in your whole backyard and make it a walk-in aviary as well?
Small not so much
Thanks it's already been an adventure
If I must I'll keep shad or similar in the new pond something that's a bait fish so if the herons get bad I'll watch them fish and take a 50 cents fish and not a 400 dollar koi.

Here's today's photo

View attachment Pond 5-9-18 (1 of 1).JPG
Here's the thread
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This pond is gonna be amazing! Following following following!

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Here is the latest adventure as it is taking shape. Being back on AC. reminds me of a post that someone wanted to see some of my other planted tanks be cause" no knob could create such a thing their first time around" We here' my first attempt at a pondScott Pond (1 of 1).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store