Macropodus Ocelatus (Chinese Paradise Fish)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anabantastic

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Real Name
Alyssa
I have been searching far and wide for this fish with absolutely no luck. Most people don't know it even exists outside of the hobby from what I've been able to gather. If anyone breeds these fish, or knows where to get them, I would be eternally grateful for the help acquiring my "holy grail" fish! holygrail.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
If someone has these fish in the west it would be incredibly rare indeed. Your best bet would be to get someone in China catch and send them as they are said to be common there.
The black paradise fish M spechti / concolor is being bred commercially, that one should be easier to get in the US.

Anabantastic

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Real Name
Alyssa
If someone has these fish in the west it would be incredibly rare indeed. Your best bet would be to get someone in China catch and send them as they are said to be common there.
The black paradise fish M spechti / concolor is being bred commercially, that one should be easier to get in the US.
The challenge begins! M spechti is on my list of fish to get, but nowhere near the number one spot of M ocelatus! I'll just have to find somebody in China who is willing to help me, which is going to be difficult because I don't speak a lick of the language.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You can try joining an aquarium forum in Singapore. Singapore is bi lingual English/Chinese, if anything someone there would be able to connect you to a shop which sells them or a fellow hobbyist who can help you out?

And have you seen this?
http://www.tropheus.ro/pesti-labirint/1873-macropodus-ocellatus-incheon.html
For sale in Romania :)
Maybe it is just as easy as placing an order there?
Fish looks gorgeous!

Reactions: Stefanie O'Dell

Anabantastic

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Real Name
Alyssa
Maybe, it will be a real struggle communicating, though. I don't speak anything but English and a few words in Spanish, and Google Translate is dodgy at best. I'll try Singapore forums and see if I have any luck.

Reactions: OrionGirl

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are lots of bilingual people in the hobby, so I suspect you will be able to find someone willing to help. IF you do, and breed them...I'd be interested. Paradise are lovely, lovely fish.

Reactions: Anabantastic

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's like a Gourami-betta hybrid. Nature is awesome!
Out of the 3, the domestic betta is the hybrid, all are related though as labyrinth fish,

The paradise fish, just haven't been bred as much as, say, angels, discus, guppies, betta spendens etc. so there's not so much variation in the hobby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store