Corydoras acting weird

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
I have 6 corydoras and two of them started darting and rubbing on anything in the aquarium and that is not normal at all. I don’t see any spots like it’s ich but maybe it’s early signs? I want to put salt in there just in case but I have a couple snails and ghost shrimp and I am not sure if it’s safe for them. What should I do? They’ve since slowed down/stopped darting but I’m still worried. Do you think they just got stressed about something for a minute?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Rubbing /flashing is a sign of external parasites. Could be flukes, for instance.
Do not use salt. This will harm the cories more as the parasites.
Check water parameters, keep up good maintenance and keep an eye on it. Under proper conditions and a good immune system they can ward off some parasites, and to have just a couple is natural. They maybe a bit itchy sometimes just like a dog, but when they are constantly doing it something needs to be done.

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
Rubbing /flashing is a sign of external parasites. Could be flukes, for instance.
Do not use salt. This will harm the cories more as the parasites.
Check water parameters, keep up good maintenance and keep an eye on it. Under proper conditions and a good immune system they can ward off some parasites, and to have just a couple is natural. They maybe a bit itchy sometimes just like a dog, but when they are constantly doing it something needs to be done.
I think I see some ich on them now, how should I treat it?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Which species of cories are they? If they (and the other inhabitants) can take 86 degrees you could raise the temperature. With catfish and other sensitive fish I would use Herbtana, it's a safe herbal product that works against other parasites as well.
Then there are a whole bunch of other products on the market against ich, but not all are safe for catfish and shrimp. Some that will also stain sealant.

Last edited:

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
Which species of cories are they? If they (and the other inhabitants) can take 86 degrees you could raise the temperature. With catfish and other sensitive fish I would use Herbtana, it's a safe herbal product that works against other parasites as well.
Then there are a whole bunch of other products on the market against ich, but not all are safe for catfish and shrimp. Some that will also stain sealant.
3 sterbai corydoras and 3 peppered

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm old school & prefer a dye ich treatment like methylene blue. Salt can work too. Higher temps speed the ich growth cycle; but unless you go very high (91F+)it won't actually kill the ich & may stress the heck out of your fish.

Ich is very treatable if caught early & treated well & consistently with lots of water changes. Good luck!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Temperature treatment will be very uncomfortable for your cories as well as salt. Methylene blue is something for a hospital tank as it will also affect nitrifying bacteria, plants, sealant...
Get a safe commercial product. If you have a hospital tank but no medication on hand separate the affected cories as soon as possible or are there no other fish in the tank just the shrimp?

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
Temperature treatment will be very uncomfortable for your cories as well as salt. Methylene blue is something for a hospital tank as it will also affect nitrifying bacteria, plants, sealant...
Get a safe commercial product. If you have a hospital tank but no medication on hand separate the affected cories as soon as possible or are there no other fish in the tank just the shrimp?
I have a Betta, some raspbora Hets, a clown pleco, and some snails also

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
Question: could I move all of my fish to a separate tank to treat with methylene blue and salt treat their tank to kill anything in there? I also saw take out the heater and filter for a few hours because ich can’t survive out of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store