Angelfish and GBR's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
I currently have a 20g tank with 1 (about 1in height) angelfish, 1 hatchetfish (re homing soon), 4 neon tetras, and 4 cory aeneus. I was wondering if I could switch the hatchet for a German Blue Ram. I am adding many plants soon to give hiding places. The angelfish gets along with all my fish with no nipping, he will even let the corys and tetras swim next to him and bump into him. I can re home him but I would rather not as angelfish are one of my favorites. My water is: 78-82F, 7.5PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrates but 5 Nitrites. I plan on dealing with my nitrites issue with 50% water changes everyday before doing anything else to the tank. So my question is if I can keep 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 4 corys and 4 neon tetras in a 20g planted tank? Thank you.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wouldn't keep a single angel fish in anything smaller than a standard 29g tank. Even that is marginal for a fish that grows saucer sized.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
I wouldn't keep a single angel fish in anything smaller than a standard 29g tank. Even that is marginal for a fish that grows saucer sized.
I can re home the angel, do you think the catfish will be ok in ~82-84F water? Same with the tetras?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you are adding heat to the water to get it to 82-84F, I wouldn't run it that high for the cat and tetras. Sometimes you can't avoid those temps in the heat of summer or depending on room temp.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
If you are adding heat to the water to get it to 82-84F, I wouldn't run it that high for the cat and tetras. Sometimes you can't avoid those temps in the heat of summer or depending on room temp.
Dont the GBR’s like temp that high? Also since I live in a desert my room temp is normally 78-80. In the summer it may even get to 82-84. I think some tetras like cardinals and rummynose and sterbai corys can be ok in that heat. Do you think I should restock my entire tank with rummynose, sterbai and GBR’s?

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
I wouldn’t do a GBR, since the angel will get big and outgrow your 20g. I would swap out the angel for a pair of GBR and maybe up the school of 4 neons to 6.
I just donated the angel to a close store to me. Luckily they also got a new shipment of GBR’s which I will check out soon. I dont think neons will be able to do so well in 82F water (without a heater). What fish would school with them? Harlequins or rummynose maybe?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What do you have in the tank now and is it a 20g high or long?

Yes, I believe GBRs do better in warmer water temps.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
What do you have in the tank now and is it a 20g high or long?

Yes, I believe GBRs do better in warmer water temps.
I currently have 1 Hatchetfish, 4 corys and 4 neon tetras with an amazon swords, 4 water Sprites and a dwarf sag. The tank is a 20 long.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
There’s also Bolivian Rams as well. They may not be has pretty as the German Blues, but don’t need the higher temps and not as sensitive. A pair should do just fine in a 20 long, or as a single centerpiece. I currently have a bolivian and I’ll post a photo of him as an example.
image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store