What Is Your Go To Planted Tank Substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
what is your go to planted tank substrate?
i use the Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum. Thats my favorite because it doesnt really cloud up the water and my plants do pretty well with the fertilizereven my red plants color up well without me adding liquid fertilizer. Checkout my plants
:)

But i feel the the fluval sub is kind of expensive if u have a big tank.
what is a good budget substrate? how deep is your substrate? i keep mine at least 1"-1.5"

I use the JC&P light $26
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMHTG93/ref=twister_B07M8H539M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_9755.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It all depends on what your budget is.

Personally I would go for a dedicated aquasoil for substrate even in a bigger tank 8fvitvwas going to specifically a planted tank. And stratum is really one of the cheaper ones, but it's fairly light and difficult to plant in. I might try something like Landen.

If not worrying too much about plants, maybe some pre-loaded Safe-T-Sorb with a bunch of homemade root tabs with plenty of iron.

Not really my choice, but you could go with a mineralised top soil capped with sand or gravel of your required coloration.

Reactions: lampro

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Your red plants look great! If that substrate is working for your plants, keep using it. How long has it been set up? I use ~2 inches of any substrate.
i would if its for a small tank. Idk or maybe i can figure out sth maybe try adding a big fish with filter sand and let the fish waste get into the sand or gravel and turn it into a fertilizer?

I actually thinking of adding root tab too. anyone know whats a good root tab to get?
my tank pic was 3 month old but i did some changes so i will keep u guys updated :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would make your own root tabs, honestly.

If it's too difficult to get materials, I'd go with NilocG.

for substrate, normally the big issue with a big tank, is the big cost. It's just far cheaper to get substrate for a small tank.

Reactions: lampro

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I would make your own root tabs, honestly.

If it's too difficult to get materials, I'd go with NilocG.

for substrate, normally the big issue with a big tank, is the big cost. It's just far cheaper to get substrate for a small tank.
I totally agree it took me two hours to plant my carpet plants for my 10 gallon because the fluval soil is not heavy enough and the plant would keep floating to the top for the first two weeks and plus i didnt have any fish in it
I heard the ADA soil is really easy to aquascape tho I never seen the Landen soil before. is that cheaper than the fluval or ada?
do you buy the NilocG from LFS?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store