Ultimate Angelfish Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
the tank is 24”x24”x24” rimless 30 gallon cube tank. Tank mates: 1 adult pair of silver angelfish, school of cardinals, nerite snails.
Tank set up: red slate rock sinking the Malaysian driftwood
The substrate on the top is sand and the bottom is fertilizer

I really like the blue reflections on the tank and how it has some shades and dark gloomy spots for the fish to hide. Plus the driftwood is just enough not to turn the water yellow. Keeping the tank nice and clear. Do you think the angelfish offsprings can survive with the parents along with the tetras?

Im using the 20” JC&P LED light for $26 from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMHTG93/ref=twister_B07M8H539M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it is a very nice tank! But angel fry are very hard to raise with parents &/or other fish. If you really want to raise any fry, you need a separate tank for the parent to spawn in or to remove the fry to.

Reactions: lampro
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I cannot speak to how prolific your pair might be. What I can report are my experiences. I have only ever wanted two different angels, The second i keep now and they are Altums, I have no illusions that they might spawn for me no matter what I do. The other species and the one i kept first were double dark black angels. I started with 5 and ended up with a pair which spawned. The were in a planted 45 gal. community tank. The eggs were lunch unless I pulled them.

The first spawn spawn I pulled was over 500 eggs and most hatched. Then they did it again in about two weeks. I did my homework and was told that if one wishes to =breed angel, it is advisable to have two 55 gal tanks for the offspring. That is why I do not breed angels.

The eggs

The fry

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Well, it is a very nice tank! But angel fry are very hard to raise with parents &/or other fish. If you really want to raise any fry, you need a separate tank for the parent to spawn in or to remove the fry to.
it is pretty hard to remove the wood. i would just remove the parents then and let the fry live in that tank.

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I cannot speak to how prolific your pair might be. What I can report are my experiences. I have only ever wanted two different angels, The second i keep now and they are Altums, I have no illusions that they might spawn for me no matter what I do. The other species and the one i kept first were double dark black angels. I started with 5 and ended up with a pair which spawned. The were in a planted 45 gal. community tank. The eggs were lunch unless I pulled them.

The first spawn spawn I pulled was over 500 eggs and most hatched. Then they did it again in about two weeks. I did my homework and was told that if one wishes to =breed angel, it is advisable to have two 55 gal tanks for the offspring. That is why I do not breed angels.

The eggs

The fry
really nice angels! Yea angels cann spawn weekly. you can get a lot of frys within a few months. Did you grow out the angel frys afterward?
how big is your altum tank? i might get 4 altums later on too still looking around.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I had to go away for the weekend soon after the spawn and babt angels need live food a few times a day at first. So most were lost. I bought two in tank continuous BBS hatcheries but only a few survived. I raised about 60. Oddly, the breeder from whom I got them lost the line. So I sent back about 30 fish. I gave up pulling the eggs after that and ultimately the angels died of old age.

I have 6 Altums which live together in a 55 gal. They are due to be moved into a 125 this summer. Altums are a tough fish. I got most of mine over time as imports. I finally learned to keep them alive by starting them in a tank with a pH of 4.2 and TDS under 30 ppm. It took me 6 months to move them up to 6.0 and 60 ppm.

If anybody wants to keep Altums you should join this site http://www.finarama.com/ You can read the general info without becoming a member but to read or post you must be a member. There are expert Altum keepers there including people who have worked with them in the wild and some who have actually manage to spawn them. It is the single best place for info on angels in general and Altums specifically.

Reactions: DaisyTattoo

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I had to go away for the weekend soon after the spawn and babt angels need live food a few times a day at first. So most were lost. I bought two in tank continuous BBS hatcheries but only a few survived. I raised about 60. Oddly, the breeder from whom I got them lost the line. So I sent back about 30 fish. I gave up pulling the eggs after that and ultimately the angels died of old age.

I have 6 Altums which live together in a 55 gal. They are due to be moved into a 125 this summer. Altums are a tough fish. I got most of mine over time as imports. I finally learned to keep them alive by starting them in a tank with a pH of 4.2 and TDS under 30 ppm. It took me 6 months to move them up to 6.0 and 60 ppm.

If anybody wants to keep Altums you should join this site http://www.finarama.com/ You can read the general info without becoming a member but to read or post you must be a member. There are expert Altum keepers there including people who have worked with them in the wild and some who have actually manage to spawn them. It is the single best place for info on angels in general and Altums specifically.
Yea it is pretty challenging if u have to go on vacation and leave your fishroom by itself. Thats pretty impressive to grow your cichlid til old age! Can i see your altum set up?

I just checkout the site. It looks really neat. It is nice to have a nice research just about one particular fish.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have almost no pics of the current Altum tank. There are two reasons for this. First, I am not exactly the greatest with a camera. I take better picturs of fish than of whole tank shots. This is complicated by the fact that I keep the tank fairly well tea stained, so it is pretty dark. I use a mix of almond leaves, alder cones and rooibos tea plus a bit of Kent Black Water Expert for this.

I believe an altum tank should try to mimic their natural envronment. So If I can get my group moved one of these day. I would work from this vid. (copy/paste the addy but remove the spaces after http: ) http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvFEPwabng&list=UUZHuEhmXzuA1iT-zGgKdPKg&index=7

I do have some older pictures from earlier attempts. This was a planted tank in which I was growing out some that I kept alive for a decent amount of time. That compacta sword I stared in a 20L in 2003 and then upgraded the tank to a 29 with all the plants plus more, I still have that sword today.

Close-up

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I have almost no pics of the current Altum tank. There are two reasons for this. First, I am not exactly the greatest with a camera. I take better picturs of fish than of whole tank shots. This is complicated by the fact that I keep the tank fairly well tea stained, so it is pretty dark. I use a mix of almond leaves, alder cones and rooibos tea plus a bit of Kent Black Water Expert for this.

I believe an altum tank should try to mimic their natural envronment. So If I can get my group moved one of these day. I would work from this vid. (copy/paste the addy but remove the spaces after http: ) http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvFEPwabng&list=UUZHuEhmXzuA1iT-zGgKdPKg&index=7

I do have some older pictures from earlier attempts. This was a planted tank in which I was growing out some that I kept alive for a decent amount of time. That compacta sword I stared in a 20L in 2003 and then upgraded the tank to a 29 with all the plants plus more, I still have that sword today.

Close-up
Nice angels! SO you got them as juvenile? they look around 2.5" Yea i see the amazon water looks really intense lol. The water is literally dark brown. It is pretty hard to have the same water as amazon river. I saw a LFS with wild altums they look like fully grown discus. I will take a picture and show u next time.
Is it easier to keep adult altum or juvenile altum?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store