Arrowhead Crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arrowred66

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2019
I did a quick water change today to fix my salt levels in my tank. 13.5 small tank. I used reef safe salt. However for about 1-3 cups of fresh clean water I purée directly into the tank not filter system. It hit my Arrowhead Crab. He backed up quickly but my concern is — will he be ok??? I put the rest of the water through filter system. I have no idea why I don’t fresh in the regular part of tank. Any comments to lessen my concern on my crab ?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
You're saying you had to add fresh water, and dumped it into the tank and some of it went on top of your crab? It will likely be fine. There was probably a few moments of discomfort (if that) but the fresh water will circulate and mix in fairly quickly so I wouldn't worry about it.

Arrowred66

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2019
I did a quick water change today to fix my salt levels in my tank. 13.5 small tank. I used reef safe salt. However for about 1-3 cups of fresh clean water I purée directly into the tank not filter system. It hit my Arrowhead Crab. He backed up quickly but my concern is — will he be ok??? I put the rest of the water through filter system. I have no idea why I don’t fresh in the regular part of tank. Any comments to lessen my concern on my crab ?
No one replied

Arrowred66

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2019
You're saying you had to add fresh water, and dumped it into the tank and some of it went on top of your crab? It will likely be fine. There was probably a few moments of discomfort (if that) but the fresh water will circulate and mix in fairly quickly so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Crustaceans are generally pretty hardy when it comes to being exposed to fresh water--though it sounds more like you were mixing in new salt water, rather than fresh water? It likely was just surprised by the current coming from a new location. I tend to prefer adding water to the sump or filtration to give it time to mix a bit and prevent water from pushing over rocks or corals, so a good practice.

Reactions: Sploke

Arrowred66

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2019
Crustaceans are generally pretty hardy when it comes to being exposed to fresh water--though it sounds more like you were mixing in new salt water, rather than fresh water? It likely was just surprised by the current coming from a new location. I tend to prefer adding water to the sump or filtration to give it time to mix a bit and prevent water from pushing over rocks or corals, so a good practice.
Thank you. I got a little nervous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store