Help betta fish sick any suggestions?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

samanthanu3

AC Members
Feb 14, 2020
He has this for a good while and its getting bigger so i put him in a small bowl so he cant hurt himself and i can monitor him. It looks similar to a pimple or a sore

BF29EF95-3167-4E76-B21F-CE34D2EC5977.jpeg

920B1DED-056B-406E-AABE-2506C176037B.jpeg

B143FE1B-D16C-4147-9151-AA52ADAC56A2.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What are the parameters of you bowl? Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Temp? How often do you do water changes? WCs are always my first line of defense.

I see several things of concern with your betta but some might just be from the curve of you bowl. It's not an ideal shape, not enough surface to volume. Does it have a filter? Heater?

Luckily bettas can breathe air from the surface...but I think you do have problems...Tell us more.

samanthanu3

AC Members
Feb 14, 2020
What are the parameters of you bowl? Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Temp? How often do you do water changes? WCs are always my first line of defense.

I see several things of concern with your betta but some might just be from the curve of you bowl. It's not an ideal shape, not enough surface to volume. Does it have a filter? Heater?

Luckily bettas can breathe air from the surface...but I think you do have problems...Tell us more.
i can also change into a less rounder bowl for a temporary fix to get the bump to go away

samanthanu3

AC Members
Feb 14, 2020

In his orginal tank before the flare up its a 2-3 gallon tank i think and is usually 70 degrees and he is happy and swimming at that temp. In that tank he has a zinc model 10 filter. I think the amonia is low bc i throughly cleaned his tank. I dont do water changes often bc i think it stresses him out but with a little research the bump might be from not cleaning it as much as i should. I saw that the bump was getting bigger so i put him in the bowl. The bump is still present but not as red and inflamed. It is kinda transparent and has two white dots in the middle. His gills also look more vibrant than usual and he has a bit of white on the ends of his tail that might starting to be fin rot that didnt notice.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure why you moved him. The white on his fins can be from ammonia or high nitrate, again water changes will help & you need to vacuum out poo & uneaten food.

70F is awfully low for bettas, 75F would be as low as I'd go but 78 is better.

Does he eat well? Poop? What do you feed him? How much & how often? Bettas only eat a couple bites of food at any 1 time. They often beg but be tough, 2 or 3 tiny bites of food is enough...ok, maybe twice/day. Any excess food will rot in the tank & add to his problems. Get it out of there! In a small tank it will only take a few minutes. & be sure to use a dechlorinator.

samanthanu3

AC Members
Feb 14, 2020
I'm not sure why you moved him. The white on his fins can be from ammonia or high nitrate, again water changes will help & you need to vacuum out poo & uneaten food.

70F is awfully low for bettas, 75F would be as low as I'd go but 78 is better.

Does he eat well? Poop? What do you feed him? How much & how often? Bettas only eat a couple bites of food at any 1 time. They often beg but be tough, 2 or 3 tiny bites of food is enough...ok, maybe twice/day. Any excess food will rot in the tank & add to his problems. Get it out of there! In a small tank it will only take a few minutes. & be sure to use a dechlorinator.
I feed him once a day one or two pellets. He loves to eat and beg for food but i male sure not to feed him a ton. He seems to be pooping well bc he has never been constipated. I moved him so i could keep a close eye on him. Would you recommend for me to move him back? And is a dechlorinator needed? i can make sure to give him only what he eats rather than walk away when i give it to him. Do you think the bump will just go away over time?

northernlady

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
OK, I may seem mean BUT I mean well. I keep a Betta in a 20 gallon hex, its planted heated at 78 , has a Fluval 206 as a filter, I do weekly water changes, I have a well so I dont use declorinator.I would not keep any fish in a tank under 5 gallons with good filtration .You have to do those water changes, you could in fact, keep aged water in your bowl, move your Betta from the tank to the bowl to do your tank water changes, perhaps that would be easier on the both of you. You can age water so the clorine evaporates instead of using declorinator but declorinator would probably be safer for you.Also add some aquarium salt to his tank, not table salt, aquarium salt.Aquarium salt is very healing for him. Not a whole lot of salt now, we arent recreating the Great Salt Lake, LOL.When I started in this hobby 50 years ago lots of my fish died.I still lose fish once in a while, we all do. But YOU are on this site asking questions trying to do whats right, I applaud you for that. This is a great site to learn from, I learn things on here every time I come on. You could also go on Youtube and look up Betta, there are some really cool videos on there that would help you also.Dont let this get you down, keep trying and learning, it is a great hobby and Bettas are super fish. :)

samanthanu3

AC Members
Feb 14, 2020
OK, I may seem mean BUT I mean well. I keep a Betta in a 20 gallon hex, its planted heated at 78 , has a Fluval 206 as a filter, I do weekly water changes, I have a well so I dont use declorinator.I would not keep any fish in a tank under 5 gallons with good filtration .You have to do those water changes, you could in fact, keep aged water in your bowl, move your Betta from the tank to the bowl to do your tank water changes, perhaps that would be easier on the both of you. You can age water so the clorine evaporates instead of using declorinator but declorinator would probably be safer for you.Also add some aquarium salt to his tank, not table salt, aquarium salt.Aquarium salt is very healing for him. Not a whole lot of salt now, we arent recreating the Great Salt Lake, LOL.When I started in this hobby 50 years ago lots of my fish died.I still lose fish once in a while, we all do. But YOU are on this site asking questions trying to do whats right, I applaud you for that. This is a great site to learn from, I learn things on here every time I come on. You could also go on Youtube and look up Betta, there are some really cool videos on there that would help you also.Dont let this get you down, keep trying and learning, it is a great hobby and Bettas are super fish. :)
Well okay thank you so much i appreciate this a ton and im moving him back i will update you if he gets worse

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store