fish in fish out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
I am ready to do a cleaning on my 55 gal tank. put new filters in my fluval last week. my question is can I clean the substrate with my fish in the tank? I was advised not to remove them as it adds to stress. Will the mulm created in cleaning have an affect on them? Thanks

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yes you can just vacuum the substrate (this will be so much easier if you have the right size, sand or large gravel being difficult). You can also replace the substrate with the fish in the tank, but do vacuum it first (depending on the size and maintenance it might be necessary to do it multiple times)

Reactions: Foxie and dudley

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Use a good siphon to clean the substrate, turn off your tank lights to reduce stress on your fish, be careful not to take a small fish in the siphon, this can lead to injury to the fish. Be careful in case you have fine gravel.

Reactions: Foxie

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
I am ready to do a cleaning on my 55 gal tank. put new filters in my fluval last week. my question is can I clean the substrate with my fish in the tank? I was advised not to remove them as it adds to stress. Will the mulm created in cleaning have an affect on them? Thanks.

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Use a good siphon to clean the substrate, turn off your tank lights to reduce stress on your fish, be careful not to take a small fish in the siphon, this can lead to injury to the fish. Be careful in case you have fine gravel.
I will do a bit at a time as I will have to condition the water I put back in .I use rain barrel water. Thank You

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store