Sevrums kissing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lindsay1202

AC Members
May 11, 2020
Hi everyone. We got a green and a gold sevrum about 2 months ago. The gold one has laid eggs twice in the past month, but I don’t think she has let the green one fertilize the eggs at all. The first batch were eaten and the second round all of the eggs turned white. This morning I noticed them “kissing”. I’ve never noticed them doing this before. Is this for spawning purposes? Or are they fighting. I know for sure the gold one is female. I THINK the green one is male. But I just want to make sure they’re both safe :)

CFEE67B6-0D0A-493D-8A4F-EC8F63C8DB2B.jpeg

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What sized tank are they in?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you have a better pic of the green? Males cichlids are often slower to get to breeding maturity than females. Males need to be larger than females most times to get the right idea & it can take a few tries.

Lindsay1202

AC Members
May 11, 2020
Do you have a better pic of the green? Males cichlids are often slower to get to breeding maturity than females. Males need to be larger than females most times to get the right idea & it can take a few tries.
The green one is slightly smaller than the gold. They’ve been together since they were small. We got them from a friend about 2 months ago. He said he’s never seen them lay eggs before.

AF875416-FCAE-439F-A22D-9E672270F04A.jpeg

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Are they locking lips? Twisting at all? Do they do that all the time?

I think they may be fighting....

I've seen a pair push at eachother as to test parental strength, but they don't usually lock lips unless they are breaking up or fighting ime

Do you see any breeding tubes?

I'm not sure, but they still look pretty young. They can coexist well until they hit sexual maturity. Then the dynamics can change.

Lindsay1202

AC Members
May 11, 2020
Are they locking lips? Twisting at all? Do they do that all the time?

I think they may be fighting....

I've seen a pair push at eachother as to test parental strength, but they don't usually lock lips unless they are breaking up or fighting ime

Do you see any breeding tubes?

I'm not sure, but they still look pretty young. They can coexist well until they hit sexual maturity. Then the dynamics can change.
They only did this for about 10 minutes yesterday morning and I haven’t seen them do it again. There has been no change in behavior, as far as them getting along.

im still relatively new to the aquarium life.. so I’m not sure about breeding tubes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store