Amazontanklvr's tank build/blog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
ok. What do you mean at my LFS? This is an online store. I found bigger for a good deal but they went out of stock during this Covid thing. They sell in packs of 6 so I'd get 12.
Oh I misunderstood. Thought your LFS got them in. I got the super blue kerris (not as strong genetically) in very tiny, I was going to grow them out first, but they were the ones that didn't do well. I wouldn't trust small tetras with the angels though. Really don't want to rain on your parade, but i'd hate to see the money for them go wasted. That's especially since they are not used to smaller fish or the angels are in the tank first. I mean the angel is less likely to look at smaller fish as food if they grow up with them, but they should at least be added to the tank first (before the angels) and in a large school. Might help to move decor around a bit too when adding the kerris.

12 sounds great :) If the other online store regularly gets them in, i'd wait for the ones that are a bit larger.

Nothing good happens quickly.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Oh I misunderstood. Thought your LFS got them in. I got the super blue kerris (not as strong genetically) in very tiny, I was going to grow them out first, but they were the ones that didn't do well. I wouldn't trust small tetras with the angels though. Really don't want to rain on your parade, but i'd hate to see the money for them go wasted. That's especially since they are not used to smaller fish or the angels are in the tank first. I mean the angel is less likely to look at smaller fish as food if they grow up with them, but they should at least be added to the tank first (before the angels) and in a large school. Might help to move decor around a bit too when adding the kerris.

12 sounds great :)
It's an understandable mistake. I will be getting the 'wild' form. Stronger plus I like them better. Natural beauty. I wouldnt want to loose them either. The have grown up with other smaller fish. But havent seen any for awhile. Im ordering sratgrass soon so would a thicket of that help? I could switch my wood if you think that would help. (move the piece on the left to the right and so on)

Reactions: the loach

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
It's an understandable mistake. I will be getting the 'wild' form. Stronger plus I like them better. Natural beauty. I wouldnt want to loose them either. The have grown up with other smaller fish. But havent seen any for awhile. Im ordering sratgrass soon so would a thicket of that help? I could switch my wood if you think that would help. (move the piece on the left to the right and so on)
I agree! Natural beauty! Something I've only recently started to appreciate. I used to go for the flashy fish that stand out, not anymore. Well they stand out in their way.

Well that's good they grew up with smaller fish, it shouldn't really be a prob, maybe just add a fake plant or something, just somewhere to hide in to make the tetras feel more comfortable and safe. Stargrass will help, it can create a little bushy area or a carpet in the forground. Just wait until it gets going! It didn't do well for me floating. It does better submerged. I've attached the roots to hardscape (gravel wrapped in fine netting to be specific) and it did well, or you can just let it grow taller like a bushy area. It might lose leaves on the bottom if light is shaded, but it will pretty much always grow a new crown or two at the top once it gets going. I think it'll be ok with the added fake or real plants.

Reactions: the loach

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
I agree! Natural beauty! Something I've only recently started to appreciate. I used to go for the flashy fish that stand out, not anymore. Well they stand out in their way.

Well that's good they grew up with smaller fish, it shouldn't really be a prob, maybe just add a fake plant or something, just somewhere to hide in to make the tetras feel more comfortable and safe. Stargrass will help, it can create a little bushy area or a carpet in the forground. Just wait until it gets going! It didn't do well for me floating. It does better submerged. I've attached the roots to hardscape (gravel wrapped in fine netting to be specific) and it did well, or you can just let it grow taller like a bushy area. It might lose leaves on the bottom if light is shaded, but it will pretty much always grow a new crown or two at the top once it gets going. I think it'll be ok with the added fake or real plants.
OMG. Same!

All my fake plants are gone. :( I'lll plant it. I want it to turn into a dense area. You use liquid ferts? So I should cross my fingers and hope he doesn't eat them?

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Oh well if you have an artificial plant you could use just until your plants start growing, or a mop of yarn or somewhere they can retreat to that would be good. The .75-1" kerris would be pushing it I think, but hopefully the larger ones will be ok. I personally haven't tried tetras the size of kerri with my angels, but if they are in a good size group it's much better. The bigger the group, the larger the presence of kerri, the safer. Meaning they school to appear bigger to predators. I don't think kerris actually school, but they will shoal closely when they feel threatened.

I have always loved the look of a tank with a few large fish such as discus or angelfish and a large school of smaller schooling fish. I loved to see the larger fish split up the school and the school seals up again.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Oh well if you have an artificial plant you could use just until your plants start growing, or a mop of yarn or somewhere they can retreat to that would be good. The .75-1" kerris would be pushing it I think, but hopefully the larger ones will be ok. I personally haven't tried tetras the size of kerri with my angels, but if they are in a good size group it's much better. The bigger the group, the larger the presence of kerri, the safer. Meaning they school to appear bigger to predators. I don't think kerris actually school, but they will shoal closely when they feel threatened.

I have always loved the look of a tank with a few large fish such as discus or angelfish and a large school of smaller schooling fish. I loved to see the larger fish split up the school and the school seals up again.
yeah. I'll be ordering the stargrass today. I'll se what I have. I think I'll be pushing it too so good thig I checked. I'll probably wait until the stargrass fills in a little. You are absutely correct about the schooling thing. And they 'shoal' so yeah.

Discus REQUIRE groups of 4+. But you really should do 6+. With the exception of a breeding pair. Just a little thing in there. I like that look too.

Reactions: angelcraze

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
yeah. I'll be ordering the stargrass today. I'll se what I have. I think I'll be pushing it too so good thig I checked. I'll probably wait until the stargrass fills in a little. You are absutely correct about the schooling thing. And they 'shoal' so yeah.

Discus REQUIRE groups of 4+.. But you really should do 6+. With the exception of a breeding pair. Just a little thing in there. I like that look too.
Yay good plan ;) The good thing is you can play with the stargrass and watch your plants grow, so it's not a big deal to wait for the kerris.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Yay good plan ;) The good thing is you can play with the stargrass and watch your plants grow, so it's not a big deal to wait for the kerris.
yeah! thanks for the help! Catch you in PM! I just hope they don't sell out of kerris. lol

Reactions: angelcraze

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Would you trust 1-1.5' kerris?

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
yeah! thanks for the help! Catch you in PM! I just hope they don't sell out of kerris. lol
They will get more....

Would you trust 1-1.5' kerris?
I think you'll have to try it. Just make sure to get at least 12 for a decent size group.

I doubt you'd be able to find larger ones without growing them out a bit first. I can't tell you how your angels will be with them, but you can try the best scenario, which is the largest ones in a decent school. Give them a nice bushy area to retreat in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store