My clawed frog stop eating all of the sudden ?! Pls help im worried ?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

machisaki

AC Members
May 23, 2020
Before anyone bashes me, i didn’t get substrate yet but let’s talk about the issues instead pls.
My frog “Kuku” has been feeding fine since i got her up until about 3 days ago. She won’t eat anything i feed her. Not pellets, dried mealworms or frozen brine shrimp.
I read about a fungal infections common in frogs called chytridiomycosis after extensive searching yesterday. I was wondering if this is possibly the reason why “she’s” not eating ?!? If it is, would Pimafix for fish fix this size i bought it ?!
I have pictures of her eye area being reddish here. The photo with the brine shrimp and her eyes not being red anymore is after i did a water change yesterday. But she still won’t eat. So i really just need opinions on what could be going on, if she has the fungal infection, and if Pimafix would help and if it does, the dosage. Oh and help confirming gender if u could too. Sorry for the TLDR. Thanks for readingimage.jpg8171D327-E647-45A8-9A12-FE1E1E72A7B0.jpeg2477FC79-ED76-4ABD-8909-5A7609DE34D2.jpeg

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
I see a visible cloaca, so I'm assuming female unless she is still a juvenile. A few questions here...

How long have you had her?

Have you heard her sing before (if so, she is a male)

What foods have you tried feeding?

Have you seen her shed before?

Have you tried hand feeding?

And lastly, size of tank/parameters?

machisaki

AC Members
May 23, 2020
1) had her for maybe 2 weeks so pretty recent ? I got “her” when i was buying food for my hamster and turtles
2) I haven’t heard singing
3) I’ve tried frozen brine shrimp, the tetra reptomin food, dried shrimp and mealworms
4)No
5) I have and has taken food but won’t now and idk why
6) I was originally got a 10 gallon but it was cracked when it arrived so i have her in a Exo Terra Faunarrium, the medium size one. I know pH is 6.8 but i’m unsure of what you mean by parameters (pls don’t yell if i did something wrong)

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Water parameters would include testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and possibly GH (hardness) and KH (alkalinity). The first 4 parameters are the usual ones tested and an API Master Test Kit contains those 4 tests. There are also other brand test kits available.

Since your tank seems recently set up, water quality is a big issue especially in a tank that hasn't been cycled completely. A cycled tank is one that has zero ammonia, zero nitrite and some level of nitrate over 5 PPM.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
A quick search shows you can get the API Master test kit for $22-$25 online. It's the only tester I've used so can't advise on others.

Some people use the test strips but they don't usually include the ammonia test which is an important one.

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Hmmm. How big is she?

The water parameters are probably the issue. A test kit is very important for all aquatic creatures because any bad chemicals in the water will burn and can kill them, especially frogs (who absorb liquids through their skin).

I also only use the API master freshwater test kit so I can't vouch for any others. I wouldn't get strips because they lose accuracy when exposed to oxygen from what I've heard. I have some old test strips that never were accurate especially in comparison to my liquid kit. A test kit isn't something you want to cheap out on. It's arguably the most important thing when keeping aquatic life.

How often do you change the water, and how much of the water do you take out when doing so?

How does her skin look? In particular, is it flaky (like she needs to shed)?

And don't apologize for anything! You're learning, that's what you're here for. What help would we be if we just nagged at you about stuff instead of actually informing and helping ;) You have a very cute frog, by the way!

Reactions: machisaki

machisaki

AC Members
May 23, 2020
She is about 1.5 inches ? So far I change the water every week or so. I’m not sure how much i am actually supposed to change so i normally do maybe 85 percent if not all.
Her skin seems normal, not flaky at all.
And thank you for the frog compliment haha

machisaki

AC Members
May 23, 2020
I see a visible cloaca, so I'm assuming female unless she is still a juvenile. A few questions here...

How long have you had her?

Have you heard her sing before (if so, she is a male)

What foods have you tried feeding?

Have you seen her shed before?

Have you tried hand feeding?

And lastly, size of tank/parameters?
I have just tried hand feeding her and she did put the dried mealworm in her mouth but she won’t swallow it ?

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Are you pre-soaking the dried foods? She might not like the texture. Go get some frozen bloodworms, those were my frog's favorite. I'm unsure if garlic is safe for frogs, but when fish don't want to eat you can soak their food in garlic juice to make it more enticing.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store