55 gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I understand, in that case I think 4 angels would work better. Currently I only have 3 angels in my tank, and luckily there is no aggression whatsoever, but I have actually seen fights when one pair joins in and they start attacking each other, so I chose to have only my 3 favorites, and good results until the moment.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
I beg to differ. angelcraze angelcraze will agree with me. 78-81 is usually what they are comfortable in.

THAT i agree with. As long as cardinals grow up with the angels you should be fine. :)

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (to 3)
3 is the worst number for angels and discus. If a pair forms the other will be bullied. Even if a pair doesn't form 2 will often bully the weakest one. Sometimes even to the death. On a rare occasion have i seen a trio work (not sexed). I wouldn't risk it.

I agree with jay, 4-6 would be best. 4 Can be iffy though. As long as you can keep up with your water changes you should be fine. :)

no, there isnt.
Thank you! I went and bought the fish today, I got 4 angelfish, 5 cories and 20 neon Tetras, It looks a bit empty right now, thinking of getting more, any recommendations? Another angelfish, more neons or cories?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The same person actually sold you angels and neons? o_O Neons stay too small the angels will pick them off one by one. Cardinals work as they get too big for the angels.

IMHO, cardinals being kept with angels not neons is the source of the temperature myth. It has nothing to do with temperature but with size. It was known even in the 60's there wasn't much of a different temperature requirement.

Last edited:

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
The same person actually sold you angels and neons? o_O Neons stay too small the angels will pick them off one by one. Cardinals work as they get too big for the angels.

IMHO, cardinals being kept with angels not neons is the source of the temperature myth. It has nothing to do with temperature but with size. It was known even in the 60's there wasn't much of a different temperature requirement.
Yea they did... I’ve got 20 of them and might get more, and all the angels are small, about the size of a quarter, so they will be growing up with the neons as well, I haven’t had any problems yet

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If the angels are pretty small like yours I "hear" they "may" not eat neons if they grow up together. But, well, they are on the natural menu in the wild...I hope you have lots of plants for the neons to hide in. Live plants like java fern & anubias are very easy. Not planted but attached to wood or rocks with gel super glue or sewing thread. They will help with angel aggression to divide up areas if they pair up eventually. A breeding pair of angels like almost 3 feet of a 4 foot tank for a territory but you've got time to think about that.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's sad, this was well understood even 40 years ago and still most shops can't even recommend a similar fish that they for sure have on stock like cardinals or black neons.:confused:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I wouldn't suggest cards either but they are a tiny bit bigger than neons. Black neons are a pretty good choice but they have a more subtle beauty not everyone gets. I like diamond tetras & rosy tetras (NOT serpae) but I haven't kept either. But Colby has neons, they may not take them back...I would not suggest getting more!

Harlequin rasboras are the right shape, very sturdy but not from SA if that matters.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Cardinals grow to 2", they are commonly kept with discus as well, you just can't do that with neons. Personally I love black neons I have had them for like 35 years but I agree they are nothing like neons/cardinals, which most people have trouble telling them apart.

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
I wouldn't suggest cards either but they are a tiny bit bigger than neons. Black neons are a pretty good choice but they have a more subtle beauty not everyone gets. I like diamond tetras & rosy tetras (NOT serpae) but I haven't kept either. But Colby has neons, they may not take them back...I would not suggest getting more!

Harlequin rasboras are the right shape, very sturdy but not from SA if that matters.
So would you think maybe I get another type of schooling fish along with what I already have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store