Don't Seem to Have Luck/Success with NLS Goldfish Pellets....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
For the life of me, I can't figure this out. No matter what online resource I check with, it's always suggested that sinking pellets be fed to fancies and goldies, in general, instead of flakes. I have always fed the Omega One Goldfish Flakes to my fancies in the past, and when I attempted to introduce the New Life Spectrum Goldfish Pellets, the fish never really took to them...in fact, it made them downright lethargic after they attempted to digest them.

Fast-forward to today and my new setup: I went to the local Petco just now to pick up fresh API test solutions and a bottle of the NLS pellets (I already began feeding my two new inhabitants the Omega One flakes, which they seem to love), and when I attempted to feed the new pellets, the same thing happened with these new guys -- they started eating them as they fell from the surface, but they're acting weird now, staying on the bottom and moving their mouths as if they can't really digest them or something. They DON'T behave like this with flakes.

What is the deal with these pellets? Are they as good as their reputation makes them out to be? Is it normal for the fish to behave as if they're "bloated" and "full" after eating them?

As a matter of reference, here's what I picked up:

image.thumb.png.e3c74080e0ad245ab7a2157a9f1678a3.png

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
As much as NLS ingredients lists tend to be awesome, my fish would generally spit them out as well. I've heard they'll eventually eat them if you keep at it long enough. Kind of like my kids and most healthy foods..

The few times I tried NLS pellets, they wound up feeding my shrimp and snails.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
As much as NLS ingredients lists tend to be awesome, my fish would generally spit them out as well. I've heard they'll eventually eat them if you keep at it long enough. Kind of like my kids and most healthy foods..

The few times I tried NLS pellets, they wound up feeding my shrimp and snails.
Thanks Freshy.

I was actually advised on another forum that the fish may just be trying to "chew" these better than they would the flakes, and that they may just have to get used to the pellets if the store was feeding them flake food (which it most likely was).

At any rate, I think this was just a matter of digestion/getting used to "healthier" stuff, as you alluded to; they do eventually peck at the substrate and eat it all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store