PLEASE HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
7ADEC5F3-BAB7-4391-9B8F-FC1CEC7FE03B.jpegHello everyone!,

I’ve got a major issue I need help with. I recently scaped a 55 gallon and started some ground cover from seeds. Everything went well and had an awesome carpet going in 10 days. But the 11th day, I noticed a “spot” of something or other. Super hard to explain. I decided to fill the tank hoping the water would kill whatever was going on. It’s since then started to spread. What is this!? How do I stop it?!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks like algae of some kind growing on the tops of the unknown leaves. My first questions are what size tank & lighting do you have? How long are the lights on? Do you use fertilizers? What kind, how much & how often? Does the algae rub off easily? Does the tank get any window light for even part of the day?

For starters I would remove the most algaed areas. It seems too densely planted for only 11 days. The top of the rotala? ludwegia? seems healthy. What, other than a ground cover plant from seeds, did you buy it as? Any idea?

Reactions: Rainscapes

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
55gallon tank. Leddy Slim light. Light duration 8hours. Tropica special nutrition ferts (haven’t started dosing yet). The tank doesn’t get very much outside light and this particular spot has no sunlight to it at all. Using a toothbrush, I can pull some of the algae off and it has a feel of what a spider web would. The problem started before the tank was filled. Would algae be able to grow in this situation? I’ll add another photo. The stem plants were purchased as 8” tall portions. The ground cover was started from seed.

3D0D33F3-B720-4C31-8D16-F698E65237DB.jpeg

Reactions: Adler

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
55gallon tank. Leddy Slim light. Light duration 8hours. Tropica special nutrition ferts (haven’t started dosing yet). The tank doesn’t get very much outside light and this particular spot has no sunlight to it at all. Using a toothbrush, I can pull some of the algae off and it has a feel of what a spider web would. The problem started before the tank was filled. Would algae be able to grow in this situation? I’ll add another photo. The stem plants were purchased as 8” tall portions. The ground cover was started from seed.

View attachment 227004
[/
I forgot to say I just took this photo and it is day 5 of the tank being full

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You may do well do try to get a positive ID on the plants grown from seed. Maybe by growing some emersed and use a botanic key to identify from flowers if you can produce them

Chances are they are not truly aquatic, it's not financially feasible to propagate aquatic plants from seed. Chances are that only being submerged for 5 days, they are likely melting... The growth you see will be emersed and would probably need to convert to submerged assuming it will survive.

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
You may do well do try to get a positive ID on the plants grown from seed. Maybe by growing some emersed and use a botanic key to identify from flowers if you can produce them

Chances are they are not truly aquatic, it's not financially feasible to propagate aquatic plants from seed. Chances are that only being submerged for 5 days, they are likely melting... The growth you see will be emersed and would probably need to convert to submerged assuming it will survive.
Glossostigma elatinoides is the name of the seeds.

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
Tropica doesn't sell them as seeds, I can't tell if it is the same plant:

But if it is they say it is difficult and needs a lot of light, and CO2. Have you checked pH, KH, NO3, and what is the size of the tank and specifications of the light?
8000k 32 watt. Ph6.8 I don’t have the means to test KH, and NO3. CO2 kit on backorder ?. The seeds I purchased are not Tropica. Package came from China. I pulled out the affected area last night. I guess the next few days will tell me more. I do appreciate you guys for your responses! I need all the help I can get. Wasn’t getting far with web searches, so I figured joining a forum or two might help.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What they are sold as, and what they actually are, are not necessarily the same thing.

Certainly doesn't look like submerged glosso growth to me, I might be wrong. But I doubt there will be much of anything left in 2-3 weeks

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
My suggestion would be that if they don't work out.

Either propagate other plants that are identifiable as aquatic, grown in an aquarium, not seeds, for a reputable nursery/company/hobbyist and go from there.

Assuming you want glosso, I assume you want CO2 too. If you want to propagate from something small I would go with tissue culture pots, and saturate the water with CO2 rather than try the dry start method.

Reactions: Rainscapes
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store