ICH on live-bearer??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
So I got three mollies (I think? Maybe platys can never tell them apart) from a local breeder a couple days ago 3 to be exact, and today I'm noticing a white spot on both of this fish's fins. Is it ICH? Or something else, I'm fairly new to the hobby so any help is appreciated!

DSC01935.JPG

DSC01930.JPG

DSC01941.JPG

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
What kind of fish exactly?
Red eye tetras, neons, glowlight tetras and some danios I think. I didn't but the fish my dad thought it would be a good idea to surprise me with a bunch of fish, of course I appreciate it, but sometimes he needs to ask first if I want any fish;;

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
From what I can see, I would say that is not ick. It is too large.
Ick is considerably smaller. In addition, the fact that it has not been transmitted to other fish, speaks against ick, which is highly contagious, even within the single individual fish. Here you have a single fish with a single white thing. Ick would have spread tremendously within the aquarium.
I don't know what it is, but it appears to be an external injury, with a growth on top, such as fungus. Alternatively, sometimes small cysts or tumor-like growths occur, which are not well explained, and which may actually be due to different things, but looking similar at naked-eyed size.
I would maintain the best water quality possible and continue to observe.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You don't have a quarantine/hospital tank? I would take this fish out right away (even in a tub or bucket, use tank water) and salt it 25 grams per gallon. Pic is too fuzzy for me to tell, but you can't take any chances with it being ick and infecting your tetras. The fish is new, so the other fish not showing any signs says nothing. If it is ich it is going to fall off suddenly and then multiply. The salt will kill the tomites.

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
From what I can see, I would say that is not ick. It is too large.
Ick is considerably smaller. In addition, the fact that it has not been transmitted to other fish, speaks against ick, which is highly contagious, even within the single individual fish. Here you have a single fish with a single white thing. Ick would have spread tremendously within the aquarium.
I don't know what it is, but it appears to be an external injury, with a growth on top, such as fungus. Alternatively, sometimes small cysts or tumor-like growths occur, which are not well explained, and which may actually be due to different things, but looking similar at naked-eyed size.
I would maintain the best water quality possible and continue to observe.
I'll do a partial water change today, I've already treated the water for ICH. Should I put in any antifungal? The fish seems normal, eating and swimming just right not gasping for air or anything. What perplexes me is that there's a white spot on both of that fish's fins sort of like a mirror image, is that just a coincidence?

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
You don't have a quarantine/hospital tank? I would take this fish out right away (even in a tub or bucket, use tank water) and salt it 25 grams per gallon. Pic is too fuzzy for me to tell, but you can't take any chances with it being ick and infecting your tetras. The fish is new, so the other fish not showing any signs says nothing. If it is ich it is going to fall off suddenly and then multiply. The salt will kill the tomites.
Well, that IS my quarantine tank, I guess I could separate that fish in another container to prevent spreading whatever that is, hopefully it's nothing contagious

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store