3 spot with pearl gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
has anyone put together 3 spot gouramis with pearl gourami? i've seen post of people saying they have put dwarfs with pearls with no problems but i've never seen someone say anything about 3 spots and pearl.

also if pearl is male and 3 spot female, will they mate?

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
both of my pearl are getting red coloring in their anal fin, one even has its mouth and its bottom area red. this same fish (the one with the bottom red) was pooping red-ish last week, i check that on sunday but it seems to be more brown now. I am concerned in their coloring, seeing the other one is also showing red at the tip of its anal fin. is this a disease?

at 0:25 you can see the red area; they are both in a plastic container that's why it is not glass clear

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
my blue gourami pooped a long white poop, this happened a few days ago, she has not pooped like this again though but she has gone back to her resting-at-the-bottom habit. Also, I have not seen the other 2 poop like this.

P_20201021_072007.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You would have to examine piece of that excrement (fresh) under a microscope, and check if it has lots of Hexamita/Spironucleus. If not, assume it is a bacterial problem. Treatments are different, and would typically need to be in a hospital tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Given the nature of gourami, I wouldn't mix them in one tank unless it's a large tank.

Sometimes it works, mostly not.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
You would have to examine piece of that excrement (fresh) under a microscope, and check if it has lots of Hexamita/Spironucleus. If not, assume it is a bacterial problem. Treatments are different, and would typically need to be in a hospital tank.
yikes! should i be concerned even if it seemed to be a one time thing?

Given the nature of gourami, I wouldn't mix them in one tank unless it's a large tank.

Sometimes it works, mostly not.
i won't put them together until i get a +35G tank, i have them quarantining for the time being

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
If you mean concerned for the other fish, from what you tell at the moment I don't think so. For how long have you had the fish? It would require treatment if you want to save it, it's not normal for a blue gourami to sit at the bottom.

Reactions: FishAddict74

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
My 2 cents-
One can safely have a female of each of 3 spot and pearl gourami in a tank, probably best if there bare also other fish, such as fast moving little ones. Female 3 spot are a heck mellower (in fact, not aggressive at all) than males, and pearls are probably the mellowest of all. And two females wont hybridize but would be gorgeous.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
If you mean concerned for the other fish, from what you tell at the moment I don't think so. For how long have you had the fish? It would require treatment if you want to save it, it's not normal for a blue gourami to sit at the bottom.
no, i meant that it hasn't happened again. I've had them since january, she used to rest at the bottom during the firsts months when i got her, stopped and since she poo the string she started resting at the bottom again.

When i say rest at the bottom i mean during night time, she's fully active during daytime
both of my pearl are getting red coloring in their anal fin, one even has its mouth and its bottom area red. this same fish (the one with the bottom red) was pooping red-ish last week, i check that on sunday but it seems to be more brown now. I am concerned in their coloring, seeing the other one is also showing red at the tip of its anal fin. is this a disease?

at 0:25 you can see the red area; they are both in a plastic container that's why it is not glass clear
can i get a comment on this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store