Lighting for a 40 breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I see ~4000 lumen 36" lights on eBay for ~$40+ tax shipped. Can probably find the same on amazon or wherever.

My point is, don't spend a ton on a no-name. There's nothing wrong with them, but you have to have the expectation it may last 3 months or 10yrs. You dunno.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I would not specifically buy anything fluorescent, metal hallide, etc. You have to change lamps regularly because their radiation output fades and quality lamps are expensive.
But that's not true, we already went through a topic where I linked to the manufacturer specifications. Leds degrade faster as fluorescents, and while aquarium speciality fluorescent bulbs are expensive, good quality fluorescent bulbs that are used in studios and shops are not.
Also Leds are only more economic if you compare them to the small fluorescents, not the big ones.

Reactions: Wyomingite

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I have been very happy with the Finnex FugeRay Planted.
I have 2 3-foot sets, end to end to span the 6 feet of a 125gal. Fish and plants (relatively low requiring) look good enough for me. I also have a 4 foot set on a 75gal and it's been like 3 years. The 36" were $140.
A 36" on a 40breeder would be similar than what a 4 foot does on a 75gal; sice the 40b is shallower, the effective lightning at the bottom would be higher allowing pretty good light for many plants if that is the interest.

FLAGTAIL Prochi 10Apr2020 Crop.jpg

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
But that's not true, we already went through a topic where I linked to the manufacturer specifications. Leds degrade faster as fluorescents, and while aquarium speciality fluorescent bulbs are expensive, good quality fluorescent bulbs that are used in studios and shops are not.
Also Leds are only more economic if you compare them to the small fluorescents, not the big ones.
Where did we discus this?

I don't recall ever seeing data that supports PAR and PUR output from LEDs fades faster than with fluorescent.

As you say, good quality fluorescent lamps are going to be harder and harder to find and be very expensive if you can find them.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Shall I get popcorn???

?

To get back on topic, the Twinstar lights are awesome. But relatively high end, and with a pricetag to match.

When choosing lights, remember that your lights will spread out, so having a single light fixture will not necessarily cover the entire aquarium, especially the top of the front and back, so consider either raising it , hanging it, or having 2 light fixtures. At a point, the spectrum of the light output becomes the difference between the lights.

Depending on your need and location, and to get high end for a lower price, I would maybe look at chihiros. If you aren't looking at high end, and it doesn't sound like you are, I would look at one or two of the cheaper full spectrum lights on Amazon or wherever and invest in a pair of timers.

Lighting technology is moving quickly, so what was top of the line a few years ago, is second tier today.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I don't remember what the thread was called. Actually I am also not sure it was you? But I am certain I showed all of those claims to be untrue by manufacturer specifications, including the accepted industry standard for the fading of Leds. PUR/PAR doesn't matter, it fades across the whole spectrum. You also can't use a sweeping statement to state Leds are more economical to buy or use. That is why I always recommend folks check the specifications of the Leds and compare it.

Fluorescent tubes are not expensive or hard to find. They have to compete with Leds now and are cheaper as ever before. For example you can get the highest quality t8 tubes like the 880 for just $4 or $5, and they last for many years. Aquarium specific bulbs are expensive, but you don't need those.

Reactions: NoahLikesFish

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Should be fine, depending on what sort of plants, and assuming you are cool with the spectrum.

Instead of dude by side, though, spread them out. Maybe 4-6 inches from the front and back.. to make sure you cover the front and back accordingly. It's not all about watts, or lumens, or gallons.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Would 2 Nicrew lights work? Side by side
As dougall suggested, assuming you're just getting into this, those would be a wise choice.

They look good for a lower cost fixture and list decent specs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store