guppy with weird bump movement under anal fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alcy

AC Members
Dec 2, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have just recently started raising guppies, 1 male 2 females. I have started to notice one of the two females have a bump behind her anal fin and it moves in a wave like movement (~ just like this shape here). It's been happening for almost 5 days so it should not be contractions. No fry in the tank. Would anyone be able to explain to me what this is? My other female fish does not have the same thing, and nothing I found online has any mention of this wave like movement.

Thank-you in advance.

20201203_000123.jpg

20201202_235858.jpg

Alcy

AC Members
Dec 2, 2020
Woah! You have a very pregnant female! She is close to giving birth and this may be the sack. How’s she now? If still preggers she may give birth this night :)
The little bump there is still doing the rolling motion and no hatchlings yet, eating, swimming , breathing is all normal.
I hope I can capture the moment of birth, looking forward to it.

Alcy

AC Members
Dec 2, 2020
Very cute fry! ? Grats!
For future, don’t put any fish in breeder box. It stress them out, that must be the reason she also gave birth to an egg, an unhatched fry. You can give her that egg, she will eat it. No chance at sabing the fry, but unfortunately it happens.
Thank you for the information, I would like to ask then how can I make sure the fry stays safe without the breeder box? I saw her est quite a few before I moved her over to keep the fry safe.

Thank you

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Thank you for the information, I would like to ask then how can I make sure the fry stays safe without the breeder box? I saw her est quite a few before I moved her over to keep the fry safe.

Thank you
Oh no no no. You leave the fry in the breeder box until they grow large enough not to fit in their mouths of your fish, you just don’t put any fish to give birth in the breeder box as this stress them out and they can either abort the fry or delay giving birth. You let them give birth naturally so you don’t stresses them out. Get some nice plants for fry to hide in.
Here is a popular list:

Cabomba
Limnophila sessiliflora
Java moss
Hornwort
Water sprite

And some float plants like frog bit, water lettuce, red root floaters or salvinia. Cabomba, hornwort, water sprite as well as java moss can be floated too.

Alcy

AC Members
Dec 2, 2020
Oh no no no. You leave the fry in the breeder box until they grow large enough not to fit in their mouths of your fish, you just don’t put any fish to give birth in the breeder box as this stress them out and they can either abort the fry or delay giving birth. You let them give birth naturally so you don’t stresses them out. Get some nice plants for fry to hide in.
Here is a popular list:

Cabomba
Limnophila sessiliflora
Java moss
Hornwort
Water sprite

And some float plants like frog bit, water lettuce, red root floaters or salvinia. Cabomba, hornwort, water sprite as well as java moss can be floated too.
noted, thank-you.
I mean I didn't have her in the breeder box until I saw her keep eating her fry. She gives births to one and then eats it really quickly. So I was wondering the next time she gives birth. What can I do to keep the fry safe if she should not be put into the box.
Before the fry starts to unroll themselves the mom would already gobble up the fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store