New geo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like geos even though I haven't kept them. Cichlid diggers may spew sand out of their gills but they will only chew & spit out gravel. No worries they'll try, but it might like a fine sand area...until it gets mixed with the gravel...

Keeping new world cichlids with Africans is difficult. Their body language is almost opposite; head shaking to 1 means "hey baby, lets breed" & "I will kill you" to the other. Talk about mixed signals! Keep a close eye on your stunted fish, it may not realize how small it is.

• Haha
Reactions: Sprinkle

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I like geos even though I haven't kept them. Cichlid diggers may spew sand out of their gills but they will only chew & spit out gravel. No worries they'll try, but it might like a fine sand area...until it gets mixed with the gravel...

Keeping new world cichlids with Africans is difficult. Their body language is almost opposite; head shaking to 1 means "hey baby, lets breed" & "I will kill you" to the other. Talk about mixed signals! Keep a close eye on your stunted fish, it may not realize how small it is.
I’m hoping my barrier from sand and gravel holds up, it’s been 6 months and still holding ?
I know not to mix them, different behaviors, water parameters and diet, but my wife wanted to save this guy and it was this tank or cull since all my others are predator tanks, so far he’s doing fine, but depending on how he does as he grows, he may get his own tank, stay in this one or be crenicichla food lol hoping he does ok here, we shall see

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Cool! Good luck with your "little guy"...can you tell if it's male or female yet?
At this point, I have no idea, it’s a Sciaenochromis fryeri and I sold all the siblings since most were already colored up and around 3”, this guy is barely one inch. I think it has a swim bladder issue, it kinda swims like a puffer using mostly pectoral fins and bobs up n down. But it’s active and eats well.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Oh, a blue hap...I've at least heard of them back in the day, lol...
Lol ya not really Aulonocara, I think they we’re considered peacocks at one point, but it’s a Hap. Here’s the fry, there’s some Xmas fulu fry in here too, but I sold them all except the little Nemo like guy

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
It’s in a 75, there’s no Africans in the pic but I have a small Aulonocara from a batch of fry that was a cull due to a deformity but I kept him and it’s doing good. Tiger barbs are fine with medium semi aggressive cichlids, the other cichlid you saw is a herotilapia multispinosa aka rainbow cichlid. I also have a school of red eye tetra and brilliant rasbora, I know the rasbora might get eaten The substrate is a combo of sand gravel and river rock, in different places. Shouldn’t be a problem since he’s already eating from the water column
Bingo. Herotilapia multispinosa, aka rainbow cichlid. That was my first choice, second was Cryptoheros nanoluteus. I was leaning toward the rainbow cichlid since they're a bit more common in the hobby. I should have just said it but was afraid I'd look cocky. :)

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Bingo. Herotilapia multispinosa, aka rainbow cichlid. That was my first choice, second was Cryptoheros nanoluteus. I was leaning toward the rainbow cichlid since they're a bit more common in the hobby. I should have just said it but was afraid I'd look cocky. :)

WYite
Lol, it’s not cocky if you know, hadn’t seen Cryptoheros nanoluteus before but those look pretty cool, my favorite “ convict” type is probably cryptoheros cutteri. I’m actually surprised multispinosa aren’t more common, they’re almost the perfect cichlid for new aquarists. I was breeding them for a bit but there was no market for them here. I have a couple males I need to find a home for and I’m having a hard time giving them away. I’m keeping my pair though

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
You're right about rainbows being almost the perfect cichlid for new cichid keepers. Unfortunately too many new hobbyists get their introduction to cichlids (other than angels) with convicts, and don't realize what they're getting into.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
You're right about rainbows being almost the perfect cichlid for new cichid keepers. Unfortunately too many new hobbyists get their introduction to cichlids (other than angels) with convicts, and don't realize what they're getting into.

WYite
Completely agree, convicts get bigger than people think ( had one about 7” and extremely deep bodied and thick and as mean as any jag or RD

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store