My final fish.....hopefully

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
It is not a hybrid. It is 100% jaguar cichlid Parachromis managuense. Even females typically reach 11" to 13", and males often push 16" or more in aquaria. You could make the argument that a female could be kept in a 75 or 90 gallon tank, but the best thing for the fish is a 6 foot tank, which means a 125 gallon should be considered the bare minimum and a 180 gallon or larger to be ideal.

WYite
After doing some research, I see how you’re 100% sure and I’m in 100% agreement. Since I ordered a Cuban and never owned a jag or Cuban before , it didn’t occur to me that I had the wrong fish, but ya, it’s pretty obvious now.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
After doing some research, I see how you’re 100% sure and I’m in 100% agreement. Since I ordered a Cuban and never owned a jag or Cuban before , it didn’t occur to me that I had the wrong fish, but ya, it’s pretty obvious now.
Yeah, I've owned several jags over the years. Like I said I've never really seen a young Cuban, but as soon as you said there was a mix up I knew. Well, shoots, that's too bad. I was looking forward to the learning experience of watching him as he grew up, but now it's nothing I haven't seen before. You'll definitely have to post pics and updates when you do get a Cuban. I'd get one myself but the best I could offer it for now is a 55, and I really don't want to do that.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Yeah, I've owned several jags over the years. Like I said I've never really seen a young Cuban, but as soon as you said there was a mix up I knew. Well, shoots, that's too bad. I was looking forward to the learning experience of watching him as he grew up, but now it's nothing I haven't seen before. You'll definitely have to post pics and updates when you do get a Cuban. I'd get one myself but the best I could offer it for now is a 55, and I really don't want to do that.

WYite
I’m actually gonna hold on to it for now, my wife fed him today and that’s helping her come around to “ just one more tank” lol I think she’ll get more onboard the longer I keep it. But I’ll post updated pics periodically. From all the research I did on Cubans, a 55 would work for a female but would be a tight fit for a male
I do think I know how the mix up happened, I thought it was a breeder I bought from, but some fish he buys from farms, when I looked at the picture again of the tank of Cubans, they all look like jags, so I’m guessing the farm screwed up and he didn’t notice

Reactions: Wyomingite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020

WYite
What kind of growth rate did you have with your jags, I’m moving it to a 55 in about a month and am wondering how long before it will need it’s big tank. It’s 3” now.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
There's no doubt in my mind now. 100% jaguar. Like I said, I was struck by the similarity instantly. I didn't bring it up because I'd never seen a juvie Cuban and figured it was just the juvies looking similar. That's not unusual.

I'm leaning female, but I wouldn't bet the house on it yet.

WYite
I’m pretty sure it’s a female now too, from your experience do you think a 6 foot 125 would be enough room for a female jag with a belly crawler pike? The BCP is about 7” but very thick, almost 2” across the head.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I’m pretty sure it’s a female now too, from your experience do you think a 6 foot 125 would be enough room for a female jag with a belly crawler pike? The BCP is about 7” but very thick, almost 2” across the head.
As far as the size of the tank goes, I wouldn't hesitate. The only concern I'd have is that they'd get overly aggressive with each other, especially the jag. I'd have plenty of rocks, driftwood and other decorations (if you like that sorta thing) to break up lines of sight. I'd add the jag when she's still just a bit smaller than the pike, maybe by an inch or so.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
As far as the size of the tank goes, I wouldn't hesitate. The only concern I'd have is that they'd get overly aggressive with each other, especially the jag. I'd have plenty of rocks, driftwood and other decorations (if you like that sorta thing) to break up lines of sight. I'd add the jag when she's still just a bit smaller than the pike, maybe by an inch or so.

WYite
Awesome, thank you! The heavy decor is what my plan would be, the BCP likes to stay in a cave, I’m thinking a very large rock near the center with some manzanita on either side with open area for the jag and rock pile with lots of caves for the BCP

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store