Mystery Snail Shell Cracking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
- In the aquarium hobby the term 'Mystery snails' is used for either of two types of freshwater snails: 'true' Mystery snails (family Viviparidae) and Apple snails (family Ampullariidae). What you have is an apple snail of the genus Pomacea.
- In nature, both types of snails break often for a number of reasons. Their ability of fixing breakages is remarkable, so long as the body is not damaged.
- It is not true that if the flesh is exposed to the water it will calcify (harden) by itself due to contact with the water. For calcification to occur (and it is done readily by a healthy snail), the snail's mantle (a specific tissue) has to secrete a mixture of proteinaceous material (conchyolin), and of minerals (CaCO3, MgCO3, and others derived from food) to make new shell, be it for growth (enlarging or thickening), or for repair (erosion or breakage). The shell of these snails is itself made of an external, thin and shiny proteinaceous layer (the periostracum), with the calcified material (shell) below.
- Your snail should be just fine and it will repair its shell relatively quickly (days to weeks), unless it gets picked on by inquisitive and pest fish. It will develop a thin repair, which will thicken with time. A permanent scar will almost certainly be visible but it is part of the snail normal life.

Reactions: the loach

Glorianne

Registered Member
Jan 13, 2021
Our Mystery Snail has a few cracks as well. I'm hoping it's nothing to be concerned about. He seems to be super content. He constantly travels around the tank and pretty quickly. I'd like to put a cuttlebone in the tank, but I'll need to read up on whether or not it's safe to do so with a Betta as a tankmate. Unfortunately, I fed our snail zucchini because I heard that it was good for them, but our betta also loved it. Our betta ended up dying. It's my fault for not making sure it was safe. :-(

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Our Mystery Snail has a few cracks as well. I'm hoping it's nothing to be concerned about. He seems to be super content. He constantly travels around the tank and pretty quickly. I'd like to put a cuttlebone in the tank, but I'll need to read up on whether or not it's safe to do so with a Betta as a tankmate. Unfortunately, I fed our snail zucchini because I heard that it was good for them, but our betta also loved it. Our betta ended up dying. It's my fault for not making sure it was safe. :-(
This thread is six years old..

Glorianne

Registered Member
Jan 13, 2021
Does it matter? It was resurrected last month. Seems inefficient to have numerous threads discussing the same topic when a thread already exists with useful information. Agreed?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Does it matter? It was resurrected last month. Seems inefficient to have numerous threads discussing the same topic when a thread already exists with useful information. Agreed?
Let my friend Rbishop Rbishop discuss this with ya

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
In general, folks shouldn't revive old thread greater than four months. The initial conditions and treatment options may not apply to the next set of circumstances or conditions, even if the general issue is similar. It's best to start your own thread with specific details to your circumstances. Thanks.

Reactions: Sprinkle
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store