Juvenile jaguar cichlid tank mate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Just IME, when my guppie frys were born they ate the algae. The microorganism off algae is not such a bad idea.
Guppies ar herbivores and graze on algae as part of their diet anyways. The jag fry will eat some algae, but like I said it's the microorganisms that really help.

I checked on some sites that stated it shall be 3 days before the eggs hatch, and an additional 5 days before the fries start swimming. Is this the rule of thumb? Currently, I can still clean the tank/pond as somehow the eggs are laid on the other side from the drainage pipe, and I can use a hose to remove excessive waste and algae which are away from the eggs. Hmm.. These fish must know something. ?
That's pretty close to standard fro any CA substrate spawners, give or take a bit. And any large cichlid pair with spawn is dangerous to tankmates, hands, long handled glass scrapers, nets, or just about anything else that moves in the tank, lol.

WYite

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Guppies ar herbivores and graze on algae as part of their diet anyways. The jag fry will eat some algae, but like I said it's the microorganisms that really help.
That is pretty much what i wanted to say but lost my words... *gulps* ?

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
Scrambled eggs! Kidding :D grats!
Thanks.. Actually, they're hatchlings! Can easily be mistaken for a clump of bloodworms, if not for the parents taking turns guarding them. ?
They've moved out of the area where the eggs were laid, to more secure spot.

• Love
Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Thanks.. Actually, they're hatchlings! Can easily be mistaken for a clump of bloodworms, if not for the parents taking turns guarding them. ?
Aaa they have already hatched?! Omg im so happy for you! ?
i still remember the ol’ good times when my convicts spawned?

Reactions: WarTank

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
They've moved out of the area where the eggs were laid, to more secure spot.
Excellent! I can't see them well in the picture, but that's always fun. A bit of advice. It may not be your ideal situation, but it may be best if you start keeping an eye out for the biggest and most active fry starting in a couple of weeks when they start putting some size on and then separating those into a grow out tank. The parents will eat remaining spawn when they're ready to breed again, or you can start now by netting some of the fry you're not keeping out and feed them to other fish before they get too large. Start searching now for a shop (or shops) to take them after they've grown, as well as for individual hobbyists who may be interested when some grow out. Get an idea for how many fry you'll be able to find homes for. Be ready to cull 95% of your spawn or more. In spite of their attractive color and personality, there typically is a limited demand for the large Central American cichlids due to their size and aggression. It's pretty easy to find takers for smaller, less aggressive species like those in the genera Thorichthys, Cryptoheros, Archocentrus, etc., but is a lot harder for species in genera such as Parachromis, Amphilophus, and others. You need to accept now that you'll probably cull 100% of most future spawns. It doesn't take long to flood the local market with large, aggressive cichlids.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store