Central American Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 7, 2021
www.youtube.com
Camera Used
8 Megapixel iSight Camera
I just recently got a 55g and I'm going for a Central American theme. Currently in there is 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, and 4 Diamond tetras. If anyone could suggest so good Central American tetras or maybe some South American ones that would go good with those fish

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
No tetra can live with an acara and acara are South American. Also those diamond tetra will die from the acara I would just get nothing else and move the tetras

• Haha
Reactions: Sprinkle
Apr 7, 2021
www.youtube.com
Camera Used
No tetra can live with an acara and acara are South American. Also those diamond tetra will die from the acara I would just get nothing else and move the tetras
The Electric Blue Acara (Andinoacara pulcher) is a freshwater fish native to the slow flowing rivers and lakes of "Central" and South America. I have had this fish for over a year with these guys and it has shown zero signs of aggression

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
The Electric Blue Acara (Andinoacara pulcher) is a freshwater fish native to the slow flowing rivers and lakes of "Central" and South America. I have had this fish for over a year with these guys and it has shown zero signs of aggression
ignore that kid. hes been attacking my friend for no reason.
G/K knows his stuff. And those tetras will not die from the acara, and it also depends on what size a certain fish gets.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I just recently got a 55g and I'm going for a Central American theme. Currently in there is 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, and 4 Diamond tetras. If anyone could suggest so good Central American tetras or maybe some South American ones that would go good with those fish
I've never seen any true Central American tetras in the hobby. Some of the CA tetras from the genus Astyanax can reach good sizes (4" plus), have reputations for being tough, and would hold up well with cichlids that couldn't eat them. I've actually been trying to find Astyanax fasciatus (I think this species pushes 6") for years, but I know they're illegal to import into some southern states due to the potential to become invasive. That and the fact they're not especially colorful severely limits demand, I'm sure.

The blind cave fish is actually a CA native, and gets 4" plus. They'd probably fit in and are sometimes available. In general though, most CA tetras that I've found on line just aren't as showy as their SA cousins and so probably don't get imported.

I've used buenos aires tetras as a stand in. They hit 3" and are pretty tough. I've used them as dither fish for African cichlids and they can take a bit of abuse when they get hit by an ornery cichlid.

WYite

Apr 7, 2021
www.youtube.com
Camera Used
Thanks both of you I will look for tetras in the Astyanax genus, but now that i think of it I would be fine with just CA schooling fish in general, tetras were just the first fish i thought of schooling fish

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Thanks both of you I will look for tetras in the Astyanax genus, but now that i think of it I would be fine with just CA schooling fish in general, tetras were just the first fish i thought of schooling fish
I would do as sprinkle suggested and add 2 more diamonds. Columbia is technically S. America but Columbian tetras would be awesome in that set up. They get large for a tetra, have nice colors and I don’t see the cichlids bothering them. The acara and fire mouth might scrap a little, but that’s not a certainty and I believe it could be managed through decor.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
My friend who has kept like every common species of acara and ridiculous amount of Central American chiclids and a few undescribed species says it is true and I’ve seen it those things get like 8” except for the inbreeding ridden elect blue acara which gets 6-8“ both have a mouth that’s like 3-4” when it’s feeding and no tetra I know of gets at least 3-4 inches tall

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store