Small white cotton things on my glass and decor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A_Small_Plant

Registered Member
Apr 12, 2021
I recently (about 3-4 months ago) started a saltwater tank, and it’s been running pretty smoothly with only a few bumps. Recently, though, I’ve found an infestation of strange white growths on my tank glass and the fake plant I have in the corner (didn’t want to start out with a real one). Can anyone identify what these are and if they are harmful? How can I get rid of them?

Tank info:
20 gallons, no corals
I have an Emerald Crab, Red Firefish Goby, a pair of Pajama Cardinalfish, and a Lawnmower Blenny

31628DF2-232E-4A76-85E1-23F16CD8C0A8.jpeg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Well at first glance it seemed like a sponge, so do a little research and it's a pineapple sponge, supposedly they tend to be more common in new tanks and high phosphates, as their phosphates go down then the sponges will decrease.

Reactions: FishAddict74

A_Small_Plant

Registered Member
Apr 12, 2021
By the way, it seems to me that your tank will no longer support fish.
Yeah, I won’t be adding any more any time soon. The local store I go to said I was at max when I got the Cardinalfish.

Thank you for the info. Everything online says they’re filter feeders who are easy to get rid of and help the tank, so I think I’ll just leave them be until I can get the phosphates down. Taking this little guy off the glass though; it’s a bit of an eyesore there.

Reactions: Lalo J.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
meh, it looks adorable to me LOL
+1 dont remove little things in your tank, unless it’s like aptasia then you can smite it and banish it to hell. Microfauna and things like it such as like little isopods paramecium water fleas and things are super beneficial I have my 10 gallon right next to my bed and it’s rewardingto watch the pencilfish with their tiny gestures looking for microfauna

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store