Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bjlyons123

AC Members
Apr 22, 2021
Hello!
I’m open to suggestions as a finish out a community tank.

right now I have

8 Kamaka Rainbow fish
3 sunset honey gouramis
3 albino Cory cats

I’m wanting to add some more color so thinking of adding

12 cardinal tetra
6 albino millennium rainbows

Would that be too crowded?
Any other suggestions?
It’s a 60 gallon 4ft tank.

hang on power filter and sponge filter to supplement

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That seems like a lot of rainbows but I haven't kept any of your species. Are they too active for honey gouramis? I don't know...Do you have plants?

You definately want to have more corys of the same species...but they don't have to be the same color variety. Many albino corys are aeneus but there are a few others, sterbai & paleatus come to mind...but it's a pretty common mutation. The corys will know if they're the same species & act like a group if they are. I (& many people) act like 6 is a minimum of schooling/shoaling fish. More is always better! You can easily have 8-12, none of your other fish are bottom fish...

Reactions: FishAddict74

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Hello!
I’m open to suggestions as a finish out a community tank.

right now I have

8 Kamaka Rainbow fish
3 sunset honey gouramis
3 albino Cory cats

I’m wanting to add some more color so thinking of adding

12 cardinal tetra
6 albino millennium rainbows

Would that be too crowded?
Any other suggestions?
It’s a 60 gallon 4ft tank.

hang on power filter and sponge filter to supplement
For a while I was interested in rainbowfish, Melanotaenia kamaka is a pretty fish, as are the albinos Glossolepis that you want to keep, however they may be too active for your honey gouramis and could stress them out. Regarding the Corydoras I would follow the advice of fishorama, but to be a community tank you should only stick with the kamaka rainbows in my opinion, or choose to have a rainbowfish tank, those are quite interesting tanks, but it would cost you to get rid of your gouramis, keep us informed about your choice.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Bjlyons123

AC Members
Apr 22, 2021
That seems like a lot of rainbows but I haven't kept any of your species. Are they too active for honey gouramis? I don't know...Do you have plants?

You definately want to have more corys of the same species...but they don't have to be the same color variety. Many albino corys are aeneus but there are a few others, sterbai & paleatus come to mind...but it's a pretty common mutation. The corys will know if they're the same species & act like a group if they are. I (& many people) act like 6 is a minimum of schooling/shoaling fish. More is always better! You can easily have 8-12, none of your other fish are bottom fish...
Here’s a pic of the tank.

Amsasa95

AC Members
Apr 30, 2021
I have plants live and plastic. The honeys seems to be ok with the kamakas. So you recommend just the Kamaka rainbows and the rest of what I’ve got?

View attachment 229873
I'm not to keen on kinds of fish, but i know for sure that a darker/more neutral substrate will DEFINITELY bring out the colors of your fish . Cause the bright decor really takes away from the fish took me a while to see em

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I have a 20 gallon tank with 7 guppies. Would you recommend transferring the gouramis to that tank?
That would be a good idea, personally I don't like artificial decorations, that includes colored gravel but that's already your choice. Tanks with dark bottoms bring out the colors of the fish and rainbowfish tanks look great with a dark bottom.

Bjlyons123

AC Members
Apr 22, 2021
That would be a good idea, personally I don't like artificial decorations, that includes colored gravel but that's already your choice. Tanks with dark bottoms bring out the colors of the fish and rainbowfish tanks look great with a dark bottom.
How would I go about changing it now without harming the fish?

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
You need to get at least 60-70% of the water out of your tank in one or more buckets, put the fish in there, and get all your decorations out. Then you take out the gravel and replace it with your new gravel. Add the water from the buckets, decorations and fish (in that order) and then the remaining new water, it would work as a water change, the process would take a couple of hours, so don't worry about having your fish without water movement for that time, they and your bacteria colony on the filter should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store