My new Fluval Shaker 252LItres (66.5 gallons)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Very nice :D
Love fluval canisters, theyre really good quality filters. And good job on the tote around the filter, I do the same lol

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have three canisters running (one for almost 20 years and one for almost 19) and none have totes. I have had one leak and flood part of a room. A tote would not have mattered in that case for except before it overflowed onto the floor. Plus being in a tote might have shorted out the still running filter on the way to overflowing. That may or may not have also harmed the fish in the tank above.

A tote will help with a slow leak that happens within a time-frame where one discovers it. It will also help keep the wood under it dry when moving the filter when it needs cleaning. I paint such interior wood on stands with exterior grade enamel paint which is pretty water repellent. I should also say that my stands are nowhere near as attractive as yours. Mine do not look like a nice piece of furniture.

What I do though is I put use SS hose clamps on all canister hose connections. I have them on both ends of the the intake and return hoses as well as both ends of the inline heater. A wise man with 50+ years in the hobby, including making his living in pet and fish related businesses, taught me never to trust hose barb connections.

Reactions: Warrior-Lady

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want value from totes, I would suggest making them bigger than the filter, so there's room fora leak detector.

Reactions: Warrior-Lady

Warrior-Lady

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
UK
Love fluval canisters, theyre really good quality filters. And good job on the tote around the filter, I do the same lol
Yes i found it nice just added some biorb media and bio rings as i use these in my U's and the tote is longer at the back covering the joints as well leading into the tank.

I have three canisters running (one for almost 20 years and one for almost 19) and none have totes. I have had one leak and flood part of a room. A tote would not have mattered in that case for except before it overflowed onto the floor. Plus being in a tote might have shorted out the still running filter on the way to overflowing. That may or may not have also harmed the fish in the tank above.

A tote will help with a slow leak that happens within a time-frame where one discovers it. It will also help keep the wood under it dry when moving the filter when it needs cleaning. I paint such interior wood on stands with exterior grade enamel paint which is pretty water repellent. I should also say that my stands are nowhere near as attractive as yours. Mine do not look like a nice piece of furniture.

What I do though is I put use SS hose clamps on all canister hose connections. I have them on both ends of the the intake and return hoses as well as both ends of the inline heater. A wise man with 50+ years in the hobby, including making his living in pet and fish related businesses, taught me never to trust hose barb connections.
TwoTankAmin i'm checking it every couple of days with a torch :D and it came with Jubilee clips but my hubby as purchased some Mikalor stainless steel T-bolt hose clip to make double sure.

These tanks look nice but the money they cost :eek: mind you with it came a fluval canister, fluval heater, LED lights and if your to buy these seperate alone would cost a bit.

so there's room fora leak detector.
Dougall i've looked at those several times and they seem ok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store