Fire Mouth Meeki with some smaller tropical fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JEGuerra

AC Members
Jun 30, 2021
Camera Used
Nikon D5300
I currently have a 75 gallon tank with 10 cory catfish, 5 cherry barbs (plan to have 10), 5 zebra danio(plan to have 10), 1 pearl gourami, 2 gold dust mollies, 1 clown pleco, and 2 f bn plecos. After I add in the rest of the cherry barbs and danios, I wanted to add a fire mouth meeki, but I don't know how it will work with some of my smaller fish. I've heard from some it might work and from some it might not, I just want some clarification on the issue once and for all

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
A firemouth is going to be hit or miss. One may be fine, the next will harass, kill or eat anything it can. That's why you're getting mixed advice; people have different experiences. I wouldn't do it and I don't suggest it.

Two better options would be a rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa) or a keyhole cicchlid (Cleithracara maronii). Both are about the same size and much more mellow in temperament.

WYite

Reactions: JEGuerra

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
+1 on NO meeki. More times than not, it will harass and eat most smaller fish. Besides, with some luck both the cories and the mollies will be multiplying for you.

Reactions: JEGuerra

JEGuerra

AC Members
Jun 30, 2021
Camera Used
Nikon D5300
A firemouth is going to be hit or miss. One may be fine, the next will harass, kill or eat anything it can. That's why you're getting mixed advice; people have different experiences. I wouldn't do it and I don't suggest it.

Two better options would be a rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa) or a keyhole cicchlid (Cleithracara maronii). Both are about the same size and much more mellow in temperament.

WYite
After reading your response I started looking into both your suggestions, and I think that a rainbow cichlid would fit in great with what I've got in my tank so far. I'm still going to be looking around trying to get as much info I can on this fish and some similar ones, but this looks like the one I'll be going with, so thank you very much for the suggestion!

Reactions: Wyomingite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
After reading your response I started looking into both your suggestions, and I think that a rainbow cichlid would fit in great with what I've got in my tank so far. I'm still going to be looking around trying to get as much info I can on this fish and some similar ones, but this looks like the one I'll be going with, so thank you very much for the suggestion!
Well, good. Glad I could help.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store