Is it a bad idea to remove the trim from this larger tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IrieStorm

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2021
I just picked up this tank for free. 60x18x18 inches. None of the glass appears to be chipped or cracked, and not too many scratches, though It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and resealed. The trim, however, is heavily gouged, ugly, and even missing one complete side on the bottom.

Is it a bad idea to just completely remove the trim and go rimless? I find it hard to believe the thin plastic trim adds that much strength, so I feel like it should be fine. The glass is 3/8, it has a massive glass brace in the center at the top, and the original bottom trim has no center brace at all. I would of course put a sheet of styrofoam between the bottom of the tank and the stand so it's not just sitting bare glass against wood.

What do yall think? I've never set up a tank bigger than a 55 before, so I appreciate the input.IMG_20210707_183236.jpg

IrieStorm

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2021
Yeah, I'm going to completely remove the plastic trim, leaving the glass center brace in place. Basically, I'm trying to find out if it is fine to run the tank like that, without the plastic trim but still with the center brace on the top. Or should I try and replace it somehow. I was thinking I could build a new trim out of wood if it was necessary.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The trim, top & bottom, is more structural on big tanks than small. I did have a rimless 4ft X 1 ft 40g that had a bottom center glass brace, definitely a DIY but built to be that way. I haven't ever seen a wide center top brace like yours...or a bottom brace like I had. My glass was also very thick, weighed a ton! Mine was also almost a freebie, they didn't want to carry back to the basement, lol.

It sounds risky, can you experiment outdoors in case all heck breaks loose? That's a big tank to take a chance on.

Maybe others have ideas, I would not feel safe doing that.

IrieStorm

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2021
I'm in no rush to set this tank up, so it's definitely gonna sit outside for an extensive leak test before it goes inside. I actually also just picked up a 125 in good condition that's gonna get set up first. This tank just popped up for free on Craigslist, and I couldn't pass it up.

So I think I'm gonna build a frame out of wood for the top and bottom. It's certainly a weird tank. Like I said before, I've never set up a tank larger than a 55, but I love looking at pictures and watching videos of aquariums and the like, and I can't recall seeing one like it either.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would leave the top frame alone & "try" a bottom DIY wood 1. You could also add a glass middle bottom "brace" like mine had. It was 4-6 inches wide & went front to back, just with silicone I think...but your tank is much bigger...be careful!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
IMO braces are there for more than keeping the glass top from falling into the tank. My first tank was a 45 gal. AllGlass (now Aqueon), The dimensions are 36.25 x 12.625 x 23.25 (lwh). Imagine my surprise having set it up and filled it when I looked across the front glass from one side and realized the glass was slightly bowed outward. I firmly believe that without the top and bottom frames that tank would have broken or come apart.

Rimless aquariums use thicker glass than braced aquariums. This is why they cost more for similar sizes. It takes more than removing the braces to make a rimless tank. Also, rimless tanks have no tops, so evaporation considerations are different. This can matter with bigger size tanks or multiple tanks humidifying the air. Of course jumping fish cannot be kept in lidless tanks. Of course no lid also means things can get into the water a top would block.

On the other hand they can look really nice. Getting a tanks with frames to look that way requires a proper stand with a top which hides the frames or else building the tank into a wall type setup.

Reactions: Warrior-Lady

meikwle

Registered Member
Jan 3, 2022
I just picked up this tank for free. 60x18x18 inches. None of the glass appears to be chipped or cracked, and not too many scratches, though It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and resealed. The trim, however, is heavily gouged, ugly, and even missing one complete side on the bottom.

Is it a bad idea to just completely remove the trim and go rimless? I find it hard to believe the thin plastic trim adds that much strength, so I feel like it should be fine. The glass is 3/8, it has a massive glass brace in the center at the top, and the original bottom trim has no center brace at all. I would of course put a sheet of styrofoam between the bottom of the tank and the stand so it's not just sitting bare glass against wood.

What do yall think? I've never set up a tank bigger than a 55 before, so I appreciate the input.View attachment 230114
A little more info -
It's 60x18x18 inches, with 3/8 inch thick glass. The trim is heavily gouged, ugly, and missing one complete side on the bottom. It has a massive glass brace in the center on the top. I have a hard time believing the thin plastic adds that much strength, but I have no experience with tanks this big.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The trim on the bottom helps to remove points of pressure directly on the glass, the top will normally be used to hold lids and most often to keep the sides from bowing out.

the glass across the top may hold correctly, but depends how it is attached, it might be superficial just to assist in holding the glass lids and not structural at all.

In theory you can remove the trim, I would personally take care to put it on top of something that will absorb any pressure, maybe styrofoam or a yoga mat or something.. I would likely work on making sure that the glass at the top of the aquarium was structural and secure.

but, I would go with what you are comfortable with, not the advice of some random stranger on the internet either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store