java ferns substrate/attachments

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Hi all-

I have java ferns in a 20 gal freshwater tank. I've been growing them (slowly) for years, and main ones are attached to a couple of aquarium decorations. It keeps having plantlets spawn off, and I've tried to grow them - one went into an old foam filter (growing nicely), but am trying to figure out how to grow the rest. Is there some sort of bottom/attachment I can buy to try to connect the rhizomes to, to grow individual ones? I have a big fake log decoration which I tried tying some too, but they aren't growing well (maybe not sufficient light, I have java moss too), and there have been a couple of fake plants I got rid of, but kept the plastic base, and tried inserting them there, but also not growing well. Not sure if there's something else that would work. Some are just free growing inside of the java moss. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

ET

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, from my experiences with java ferns, they tend to like both harder water, higher nutrients & some flow. "regular" java ferns grew like gangbusters in hard water (a 55g). Windelov java grew well in softer water in our next house with more water movement, but "regular" not as well. I'm not a good tester so there may have been other factors in play. Neither do very well for me in soft, lower nutrient rich tanks I have now at another house. They grow, but not anything like before. All were in low to medium light at most.

I have had a major java moss hate for several years now. I wish I could kill it all without harming other plants...I settle for removing as much as I can as often as I can but it's a losing battle.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
There are a number of ways of attaching small plants such as those born from java ferns, or pieces of Anubias, Bucephaladra or others.
- If one wants them attached to a large (centerpiece type) piece of wood or large rock already in the tank, the easiest way is to lower the water level to below the chosen depth for your plantlet, and then use cyanocrylate (superglue) or silicone hot-melt glue, and position your plants. If using the later, let it cool a bit before attaching plant. Dont spend money on aquarium-specific glues. No reason to pay more for the same products. One can tie them (monofilament, cable ties, various twistys) buy depending on position/location it can be had to achieve the desired exact positioning.
- Sometimes, an existing piece of wood or rock has already a crevice where a plant will work well. Often, just stick the plant, put a couple of pieces of gravel to weight some, and soon t he plant will be attached by itself.
- If one wants them attached to small rocks or smaller piece of wood that rest on the bottom, easiest way is to get it out of the tank, decide on position where rock/wood would stand well (not rolling or falling), and then attach plantlets as above.
- one can make hanging plant curtains, by attaching plantlets to a mesh or structure such as lightning diffuser (egg crate), which one can then position in the aquarium as desired.

Some can be left floating around for some time until they grow a little more.
Enjoy, Good luck!

Reactions: dudley

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks. I'll try the superglue method, maybe that will attach easier to the big log decoration and it'll grow better.

Fishorama, the RCS in my tank love the java moss. Though I do have to clean it out sometimes, since it can grow everywhere. It's also a good hiding place for my fry.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
LOL, yeah, I know shrimp like moss. I don't like to try & clean it & control it; to each their own.

As for attaching ferns I'm old school, black thread or crammed in a crevise. I know super glue gel works but I think I might hate little white glue balls on my carefully selected wood & rocks...again, preferences.

Reactions: dudley

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have had a major java moss hate for several years now. I wish I could kill it all without harming other plants...I settle for removing as much as I can as often as I can but it's a losing battle.
Ugh.. me too for the most part.

I acquired a glob of it years ago for a small red cherry shrimp tank I had going. Moving the abundance of shrimp around over time, I wound up with java moss in all my tanks. I've got it down to just one tank at the moment, but I can never seem to get it all.

The moss was cool in the RCS setup that had nothing more than a sponge bubbler filter. With no major water movement and no intake strainers to clog, it can have a pretty neat look to it. I had some guppies overpopulate in the stuff too. Still have some guppies in one of my 55s, but the barbs in with them keep the babies in check for the most part.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store