Cullet Glass and slag glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tillema 1

AC Members
Aug 17, 2021
I came across some cool tumbled slag/ cullet glass since it is tumbled so there are no sharp pieces. Will it be safe , or will it leech something into my tank?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!
I'm not sure of either of those glass types, but if it's smooth all over it should be OK. Might be pretty too...or compete with your fish colors. You want fish to stand out, not the decor most times

Reactions: Tillema 1

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I came across some cool tumbled slag/ cullet glass since it is tumbled so there are no sharp pieces. Will it be safe , or will it leech something into my tank?
Glass should be inert, so you shouldn't have any problems. If they're highly colorful, that might make a really cool background to showcase silver and black fish, because they'll stand out against the colorful glass pieces.

WYite

Tillema 1

AC Members
Aug 17, 2021
THanks for
Welcome to AC!
I'm not sure of either of those glass types, but if it's smooth all over it should be OK. Might be pretty too...or compete with your fish colors. You want fish to stand out, not the decor most times
[/QUOTE
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. This will be my first real tank. It's 40 gallons and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Tillema 1

AC Members
Aug 17, 2021
Glass should be inert, so you shouldn't have any problems. If they're highly colorful, that might make a really cool background to showcase silver and black fish, because they'll stand out against the colorful glass pieces.

WYite
Thank you. I'm so excited to get my tank set up

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Indeed, glass is chemically inert in water, mainly Silicon and Oxygen, with traces of other elements which provide color and hue. If not sharp, it is safe.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's funny you mention this. There's a person on a FB fish group I belong to who was bragging about some "volcanic rock" he gathered from a Lake Erie shoreline location. It's most certainly steel mill slag, but he wouldn't hear of it. "I know what I got.." LOL Apparently it didn't effect his tanks any. It could have been under water for 100yrs. Who knows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store