Considering Saltwater - Any Suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-_SassyCichlid_-

AC Members
May 16, 2019
Hello! I am very, very new to saltwater keeping - well, I’m considering it, actually. I am currently the owner of six freshwater fish tanks, and will soon be getting a 65 gallon tank ( going to stick with freshwater for that one.) But I do have an empty 10 gallon standard tank that I’m considering to use for saltwater (I’m not sure about it, since it’s not really a special tank, and I’m not sure if you need to have a special type of tank, or if you can use a l used tank for one.) . I may even have the chance to get a 20 gallon for saltwater.

I am new, and don’t know much at all about saltwater tanks. For example,how to set one up, best starter fish, best starter live rocks/corals, etc.

I am familiar to the cycle freshwater tanks go through to get bacteria set up, but I’m not sure if it’s the same with saltwater tanks. I may be speaking to my local fish store soon, but I thought getting your opinions and tips would be helpful too.

Anyways, if you have any tips at all for starting a saltwater tank, please tell me! Thanks so much!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
bigger is gonna be more stable. It matters more with saltwater systems, because of the change in water parameters just from evaporation.

Find a source for RO water, or make it yourself.

but any tank for FW will work for SW, it just might not be so convenient for plumbing or things like that, depending how you want it equipped.

as always, read, read, read

Arthur11

AC Members
Jul 13, 2021
It is important to cycle your saltwater tank to ensure a safe, habitable environment for your pet fish. After putting things in place and adjusting everything, you can use bacteria compounds to cycle your saltwater tank in as little as 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
That member only posts so you visit his blog links and hopefully buy from amazon affiliates.

• Haha
Reactions: Lalo J. and dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store