Bolivian ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Very pretty girl? That's my best guess too, short dorsal & anal fins, chubby tummy...cichlids are lots of fun!
Thus far she is my first and only cichlid. Very adorable little fish.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Get her a male & there will be even more fun with breeding. Cichlids are very "involved" parents, their egg/fry care is very different than other fish...& less work than many fish you've bred already...for the first few weeks anyway

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Get her a male & there will be even more fun with breeding. Cichlids are very "involved" parents, their egg/fry care is very different than other fish...& less work than many fish you've bred already...for the first few weeks anyway
Oh no no no haha too many cories in with her thatd be a problem come to spawning.

I love cories so much, but theyre not the sharpest crayons around. They'd get beat up by angry cichlid parents haha.

That and for whatever reason, Bolivian rams are rare in my area. German blues in each small store, but Bolivian rams so very very rarely. My girl sat in the store for 2 months before I caved and bought her for a very high price. But only because I fell in love her her particularly each time she would come up to the glass when I peeked in her tank, and she was by herself the whole time as the last one.

It's a shame they're not more commonly available to my city. They're much easier than German blues, don't need as hot of temps, and aren't as delicate. Really great fish, and their subtle colours are fantastic.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, they used to be fairly common at 1 time. The "easy small cichlid" but not as "pretty" as blue rams or as overbred (long fins, electric blue & the awful "angel" rams w/balloon body & long fins, OMG! :mad:).

I was given a female blue ram that laid a ton (or in Canadian, tonne? Lol, forgive me, I sometimes can't help myself) of eggs all by herself, poor lonely girl. Snacks for all!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oh, they used to be fairly common at 1 time. The "easy small cichlid" but not as "pretty" as blue rams or as overbred (long fins, electric blue & the awful "angel" rams w/balloon body & long fins, OMG! :mad:).

I was given a female blue ram that laid a ton (or in Canadian, tonne? Lol, forgive me, I sometimes can't help myself) of eggs all by herself, poor lonely girl. Snacks for all!
Yeah I'm not sure why they're not more common here either.
I like German blues too, but tbh something a little more special about bolivians. Maybe because looks more like they got a funny little smile. I don't know.
But im pretty happy with my girl

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ahh, your first cichlid...you know they can be almost as addictive as catfish (you more than me) & loaches (me more than you). Cichlids have so much "personality" it's easy to go there, lol. So many dwarf species, apistogrammas just for starters ...I give you 6 months or so...you will want more!

• Haha
Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Ahh, your first cichlid...you know they can be almost as addictive as catfish (you more than me) & loaches (me more than you). Cichlids have so much "personality" it's easy to go there, lol. So many dwarf species, apistogrammas just for starters ...I give you 6 months or so...you will want more!
Id love apistos but no tank space. They're small but territorial if they spawn, and should be kept as pairs or harems, they're social-ish. But spawning would be inevitable since especially since everything in my water breeds lol with the amount of cories we got, that'd be a disaster.

In the future though! I like a borelli, trifisciata, Agassizii, and macmasteri gold.

I also adore checkerboard cichlids, but theyre a species that needs RO, so also a species that needs to wait until the future.

But im super happy I started with my ram lady and she seems really content by herself. That was something I watched for as seems with bolivians theyre iffy solo. Depends on their personality.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Today's one of those days she's showing the breeding tube which I believe confirms female.
20211009_212528.jpg20211009_212606.jpg20211009_212536.jpg

Reactions: dudley

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
I've been thinking about getting a few Bolivians again, but my mated pair of Blue Acara may be a bit too much as they're huge.

Bolivians are such great characters when you can get them in a small school of 6 or so. They're quite interactive that way as well!

Reactions: NoodleCats
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store