Does anyone have experience growing queen silver crypt submersed ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Has anyone grown this plant submersed? If so can it be grown in shadow or does it need strong direct light? Does co2 help or hurt this plant (i've read it dislike acidic water) ? Anyone comments or advice ?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Scientific rather than trade/common name would help

For growing conditions, look it up in Kasselman's book.. acidic water is more about hardness than pH if I had to guess

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Kasselman doesn't mention it; also i've been unable to find a scientific name. While most other cryps people do list the scientific name or xxx var yyy with this specific plant i never find reference to a scientific name.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Best I can tell while trying to work is that it's a synonym of C. regina.

all teh info I can find quickly online is for sales, or forums, so should be taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: jake72

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Best I can tell while trying to work is that it's a synonym of C. regina.

all teh info I can find quickly online is for sales, or forums, so should be taken with a grain of salt.
It might be c. regina. I do have a copy of kessleman book but she does not discuss c. regina :(
To be honest the last 4 of 5 plants I've tried to look up in her book she does not discuss :(

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Unfortunately some plants are not described enough at the time she last wrote her book in German. potentially it might be included in a new edition.

Also unfortunately, the world's nost knowledgable botanist on Crypts. Bastmeijer , passed away a few weeks ago.

• Sad
Reactions: jake72

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I won't buy the new edition. The one I purchased is less than a year old and it cost an arm and half a leg. It would be insane to turn around and buy a new copy.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think a new edition will happen soon, I don't think she has been travelling the past couple of years because of the pandemic.

It's not the most expensive hobby related book I've bought by any means. And I'm happy to buy new editions just to support her and her writing.

But if you can find a local plant club, it's the sort of thing that would be good for the club to buy for reference purposes or their library. Unfortunately there's not really a better centralised source for plant information, nor is there any other real updated source for Crypt information either.

If I couldn't find information searching, the next place I would likely ask would be the AGA facebook group, I expect it's the most likely source for good information

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think a new edition will happen soon, I don't think she has been travelling the past couple of years because of the pandemic.

It's not the most expensive hobby related book I've bought by any means. And I'm happy to buy new editions just to support her and her writing.

But if you can find a local plant club, it's the sort of thing that would be good for the club to buy for reference purposes or their library. Unfortunately there's not really a better centralised source for plant information, nor is there any other real updated source for Crypt information either.

If I couldn't find information searching, the next place I would likely ask would be the AGA facebook group, I expect it's the most likely source for good information
There is nothing in my area. The closest would be atlanta - 4 hour drive or dc area - 8 hour drive. It is truely amazing that this city of a 700,000 people is extremely backwards when it comes to thigns like aquariums. Not a single club. There has been attempts the past decade but they all fail. The local store is ok but they sell fishes the same day they receive them (absolutely 0 qt'ing).

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Most people won't pay extra for fish that are kept an extra 3+ weeks or so in order for a proper QT, so it's a double edged sword.

And FWIW, I'm a member of the DC Plant club, it's maybe 4-5 hours drive each way (location varied) and pre=covid we went to all the meetings, it was worth it to us to get out of the house and we both work from home anyway.

It's not an all inclusive list, just the best one from the top of my head... posting where you are, at least the state or part of it is helpful.. I maybe know 15 clubs within 6 or so hours of here in eastern PA for example, quite sure not all of them will be on that list because of them not having a large (or any) aquarium plant presence but you can bet that any club with member (unless everyone is strictly SW) will have some sort of plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store