Finnex planted +:glass tank lid needed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

54Firefly

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2022
I'm looking at getting the Finnex Planted + light. Do I need to have a glass cover on the tank? Or can it be suspended directly over the open water?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I never used a glass lid with the original finnex 24/7

But I have heard bad things if they accidentally get dropped/pushed into the water too, so make sure it it well secured... evaporation won't hurt it, submersion will.

Reactions: 54Firefly

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
I have cats so the glass tops are required for fish safety, and my Finnex 24/7 works well with the glass lids on both 55 gallon tanks.

-TF

54Firefly

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2022
I have cats so the glass tops are required for fish safety, and my Finnex 24/7 works well with the glass lids on both 55 gallon tanks.

-TF
Do the lights cause side glare? Does the glass effect PAR and spectrum that reaches the plants? Does being over glass cause the lights to heat much?

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
Mine straddles the end rail on the tank so it is elevated about 1 inch off the glass. The LED lights do NOT generate any significant heat and with the controls on the remote you can adjust colors and intensity to reduce any glare factors that may arise. The full bright really makes the reds POP!

As for the PAR being reduced by a thin sheet of clear glass, I'll just day that my plants do well with it, but we'll let the scientists here discuss the possible PAR rating reductions.

-TF

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yes, it will reduce PAR and take some of the green light out of the spectrum,

the amount is going to depend on the type of glass (low iron, etc.) and the thickness.

Not to mention how clean you keep the glass too,

chances are you will not notice a change though, it's likely to be a very small one.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I have to use glass versa-tops, because I have cats and jumpy fish. My Finnex planted+ rest on top of the glass in all tanks.
They do produce annoying glare from the glass (mostly forward and backwards, towards and away from the observer), being blinding to me. I was very annoyed by this but solved in all my tanks by adding these cloth caps to reduce light escaping. I like the result very much. Good and simple enough. Don't have any idea about PAR of any other reductions and don't care too much as long as fish and plants are happy. They are.

The image shows 2 photos - Top, without the cloth cap, Bottom with the cloth cap. Glare solved and I prefer the look. In this 6 foot tank I use 2 3-foot Finnex.
Cap does not interfer with opening/closing versa-top, but I do need to pull them weekly while servicing filters (no big deal).

Glare comp.jpg

54Firefly

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2022
I have to use glass versa-tops, because I have cats and jumpy fish. My Finnex planted+ rest on top of the glass in all tanks.
They do produce annoying glare from the glass (mostly forward and backwards, towards and away from the observer), being blinding to me. I was very annoyed by this but solved in all my tanks by adding these cloth caps to reduce light escaping. I like the result very much. Good and simple enough. Don't have any idea about PAR of any other reductions and don't care too much as long as fish and plants are happy. They are.

The image shows 2 photos - Top, without the cloth cap, Bottom with the cloth cap. Glare solved and I prefer the look. In this 6 foot tank I use 2 3-foot Finnex.
Cap does not interfer with opening/closing versa-top, but I do need to pull them weekly while servicing filters (no big deal).

View attachment 231284
Great info, thanks! That'll work for me as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store