putting fish to sleep quick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
Sadly today i saw one of my zebra danios that looked like it was injured somehow. It was bent a little bit and not able to stay afloat. Can anyone recommend a way to keep these fish from suffering before they die? Put them to sleep quicky and painlessly?

Thanks

Jonah2940

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
UK
There's a lot of debate and this and I've done some reading. There's the option of butting the fish into a container and then into the freezer. There's also a method using clove oil and of course the old fashioned clubbing method. Do a search on euthanasia and you'll find many suggestions.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Article on euthanasia:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37740

IMO clove oil is the least painful and quickest. Eugenol is also used by many people -- primarily koi and pufferfish keepers -- as an anaesthesia for surgery. For euthanasia, just increase the number of drops and leave them in the solution longer.

Roan

Walker_

AC Members
Feb 10, 2005
Left Coast, Canada
This is a topic with a lot of contention… And im 100% sure im going to offend someone from this suggestion, and for that I am sorry to you. But IMHO I feel this suggestion is best…. It is NOT for the faint of heart, some would say its cruel, but from the perspective of the fish (isn’t that the creature we are concerned with, NOT the people who live on?) it is FAST, and 100% dead every time, no 1/2 kills, no suffering, and no 15 minutes of being frozen alive, drugged etc…
If you sole concern is having the fish not suffer then this is what I would do: put the fish in a glass, get a pair of boots with little to no tread. Go outside onto the concrete, pour the fish on the concrete and immediately stomp it.
The CNS (central nervous system) is destroyed immediately, if the neurons are spread out over your shoe then they can’t talk to one another, thus the fish ceases to be…
From the perspective of the fish, it was sitting in a cup looking at the world… then it was being poured, and while its gills are still wet suddenly it is no more…
NOW from the perspective of most people watching this, it may not be considered humane; but that IMO is because of the imagery involved, remember how the fish looks after the fact has no bearing on what the fish feels. It is simply the queasiness of the passerby, if you don’t see gore then it must be a good death….. Well if it was I who was being “euthanasied” I would much rather have it all over in a fraction of a second then a 25 minute routine of being drugged to death etc… Then again most people don’t like the idea of watching someone get shot in the head with a shotgun…. It looks yucky and make people vomit… but think of what the brain thinks while being drugged, frozen, electrocuted, etc…
IMO if you are going to do it, do it fast and with a lot of force….

shaunakadub

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Good stuff Walker.

I agree to most people it sounds horrible, but in all honesty that is probably the most sure-fire way to make sure the fish feels no pain.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Not for the squeamish, but definitely works.

Mark

jparnell

AC Members
Aug 29, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
i've always put a bowl of water in the freezer. make sure it gets cold enough there's a layer of ice on the surface.
break the ice, insert fish... Not perfect... but apparently (yeah, right like I'd know), it's fast, and not too painful. Within seconds. But the water has to be supercold. It's an alternative if you're squeamish (which i am... I even find doing this weirds me out)

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Guys,

I know we are not fish and we really do not know how a fish feels about certain things. Therefore, IMO, we really do have to approach this from a human perspective as we have no other correlation.

The above thus said, if you had an incurable disease and decided to end it all, would you rather:

A) Have someone wheel you outside the hospital and drop a hummer on your head

B) Have someone drop you in an icy vat of water and decrease the temperature until you resembled a Popsicle(tm)

C) Just go to sleep and not wake up

Really and be honest with yourself.

Roan

Walker_

AC Members
Feb 10, 2005
Left Coast, Canada
A
Although if its by a “hammer” I would like it to weigh a few tons… However in all realism id take two 12gauge slugs to the tempels on intersecting vectors

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store