putting fish to sleep quick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RanchuRick

Go Flames Go
Feb 19, 2005
How can one compare a fish's feeling to human's?. How would you like to be kept in a 10'x10' room your entire life? (Ok I'll give you more room. How about 100'x100'? Is that good enough?) Using this type of comparison, one can only draw the conclusion that fish keeping itself is not humane.

I have done two things to end small fish's life.
1. Wrap it in paper towel and grind the fish head with the bottom of a jar.
2. Cut off the fish head with a knife.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ok, ok, ok.... when I was faced with the euthanasia decision, I chose clove oil. What I found was eugenol which was effective at the advice of the pople here and good advice it was as it worked like a charm and didn't give me nightmares that night. I'm all for being open minded and hearing out how their experiences work best for them, and it's their opinion, I respect that. The problem I have with the boot trick though brings my old goldie back to mind. What if it is a really big fish, mine was the size of a softball, there's no way someone like me would have done the job and done it right the first time if using the boot. I understand here, we're talking about danios which are in no way a comparison, just don't claim that this is the absolute trick and it works every time... you don't know what people are holding in their tanks.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
RanchuRick said:
How can one compare a fish's feeling to human's?.
We can't and that was already qualified.

How would you like to be kept in a 10'x10' room your entire life? (Ok I'll give you more room. How about 100'x100'? Is that good enough?) Using this type of comparison, one can only draw the conclusion that fish keeping itself is not humane.
If you view it that way, then no type of animal keeping is "humane" then -- domestic or othewise.

Join PETA and be happy ;)

I have done two things to end small fish's life.
1. Wrap it in paper towel and grind the fish head with the bottom of a jar.
2. Cut off the fish head with a knife.
Grinding a fish's head with the bottom of a jar is humane?

Roan

DirkW

7 Kids, 4 Tanks, 2 Birds
Oct 28, 2005
Southeastern Virginia
Dangerdoll said:
What if it is a really big fish, mine was the size of a softball, there's no way someone like me would have done the job and done it right the first time if using the boot.
Sounds like a job for a Marine!

In my family, I'm called to do all the dirty work... bugs, mice, etc.

shaunakadub

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
A boot quickly dropping on a smaller fish is like dropping an overhead highway on us when were not looking. It'd be over before you knew what hit you.

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
ok what about taking fish out in plastic cup and putting a 12ga to its head and pulling the trigger?

Walker_

AC Members
Feb 10, 2005
Left Coast, Canada
Also if we are talking about a bigger fish (and im sorry for the squeamish out there, it is NOT my intention to upset ANYONE with this…..) but use the but end of an axe, or a sledge hammer… and if your fish is too big for that, then get more creative…
Sadly the species has a long history of coming up with creative ways to kill things,

And I think we should leave the debating as to the rights of creatures for another thread…. Not too say its right or wrong, just its not something we are EVER going to solve here, if someone wants to launch a thread on it however, I would be more than happy to participate… (FYI I am a vegetarian)

But at the end of the day in the words of my uncle “life is a war.” Nature is neither pretty nor peaceful, it is only in our sterilized urban environments has that ideal spread… Not to say its a bad thing, I think its good to have goals to reach for. But ultimately do what you are able to do… Personally I would take the boot

Edit: Puffer, well yes I suppose that would work, but if I saw someone discharging a firearm in the heart of the city (where I live) to kill a fish, I would be forced to ask serious questions about their mental stability…

Last edited:

RanchuRick

Go Flames Go
Feb 19, 2005
In my book, all practices that can end a fish life quickly is humane - a boot, grinding its head with a jar, cutting its head off, etc. Rememer, the goal is to minimize the fish's suffering. I think all these methods achieve that goal. Flushing a live fish down the toilet - now that's not humane.

I have no interest of starting a debate here. After all, people think and value things differently. It is important that all opinions are voiced. Let's just say there are more than one correct way to get things done.

Rick

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Roan Art said:
A) Have someone wheel you outside the hospital and drop a hummer on your head

B) Have someone drop you in an icy vat of water and decrease the temperature until you resembled a Popsicle(tm)

C) Just go to sleep and not wake up
A. It would be more like a 20'x20' block of concrete if put in perspective, and if I never saw it comming that would be my choice.
B. ah..Ill agree with that one as a no.
C. If I was aware of the fact that I was being put down, and especially if I had made the choice to be euthanized, this would be my preferred method. However, not knowing what was going on, I would freak out!! I actually have been drugged unknowingly and its not a fun experience.

Now I know we cant ask the fish what it would prefer, or "hey was that a good way to go?" But you asked it so I answered. As far as fish are concerned, it seems you prefer the clove oil method and thats your choice, your oppinion, thats fine. Others have different methods, to each thier own. I like the quick and dead method myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store