Topfin 125G Build, PetSmart BF Deal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd lean more towards an incomplete nitrogen cycle at this point, bad nitrate test kit or not doing the nitrate test correctly?

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
I'm getting another kit to make sure. Only one way to do it lol. I'm not too worried about nitrates. Would like them in the 20ppm though. I'm just concerned if it's not reading correctly, could my nitrites and ammonia be incorrect too. The fact the bacteria popped up and nitrates went down at the same time, I think the bacteria is the culprit.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
?? nothing wrong with nitrates being at zero if you don't have a planted tank. nitrates just irritate the fish and encourage algae (and your plants if you had some, and some cyano bacteria). it is odd that a barely-noticeable film of plants could have absorbed all the nitrates into a tiny mass of plant material.

i doubt that it's your test kit unless you left the bottles unsealed and warm. even if the test kit is old, it was working apparently OK before, and it shouldn't suddenly get old

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
Yeah, you are right. I just placed nitrate levels with the tank is still nitrifying well. But zero ammonia and nitrite levels paints the real picture. My nitrate levels were pretty low to begin with, so all wouldn't be much. The film is starting to die off now. I'll do another test today or tomorrow.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
Going to redo the aquascape this weekend and first vacuum this weekend. Hope to do it tomorrow. After a day, if water conditions are the same, I think I'm going to get a pair of angels. Should I wait till after I do some planting? That's going to be a few months away I think.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
Still haven't added any new fish. Trying to get the layout right and some planting espablished first. Tank conditions are looking great still. Bristle nose is growing fast! Sand is getting some air pockets. But keeping it mixed up regularly.
So I think I narrowed my search down to two of these Finnex Planted+ 24/7 in 48". Has anyone had any experience with them in planted tanks? Really trying to get plants going and some angels in within the next 2 months. Taking my time like the recommendations I received.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Where are you going to get these angels? Can I vicariously fulfill a wish of mine to have angelfish from Angelsplus.com. I've not seen the quality they have developed anywhere else. They breed for behavior, so you know their fish will have parenting success raising their own young should you desire to see that.

Fishguy679

AC Members
Dec 30, 2016
If I were you I would do a pearsei cichlid(not very aggressive at all and can be kept in community tanks) or something along those lines like a severum. A big peaceful cichlid and your catfish with some other fish would look nice in a 125.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
So, still doing planted. But after tons of research on angels, I decided on a more community tank. Really want lots of fish instead of just a few of a species. Picked up a variety of mollies today.

Lights for plants should be in today. Plants should be in on Wednesday :).

Once I figure out which plants survive and water is stable, I'm going to get a few gouramis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store