Planaria in Scud/Daphnia culture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Quarter7337

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2017
Hello all! I'm a new member, though I've been coming to AC for many years now for questions I had.
Unfortunately this time, there are no current threads (to my knowledge) that answer my question.

Here's a little backstory:
A couple of years ago I attained a bunch of microorganisms & scuds from a creek that runs behind my house in Central Florida. I had planned to start a scud culture from the ones I caught. Naïve as I was, I immediately began feeding my tank scuds from that culture. A couple months later I had a camallanus worm outbreak, which ended in me losing my entire tank, including a pair of breeding angelfish. I do not want that, nor any other parasitic infestation to happen again.
My culture is in an old 30g tank outside, with nothing but water, detritus, algae, duckweed, scuds, daphnia, and some sort of wriggling white worms. My theory is that since there haven't been any vertebrates in the tank for well over a year, parasites would have no substantial food source, and eventually die out. I understand that many parasitic planaria have a 2 or 3 stage life cycle; egg->intermediate host(invertebrate such as scuds)->final host (in this case, fish). The 2 stage parasitic planaria would bypass the intermediate host, and go straight for another fish.
However, there are also scavenger and herbivorous planaria as well, which is what I believe these little things to be. My question is: Is it possible for a colony of parasitic planaria to survive over a year with only intermediate hosts? Or are the little white worms wriggling about in an 'S' shape simply little herbivores?
As silly as it is for me to keep wild scuds rather than to bypass the worry and order a colony online, I've enjoyed these little guys as 'pets' I guess you could say, and want to keep this colony going. There must be thousands in there.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Any that require a fish host should have died out. Obviously, I can't guarantee that since there are so many species of planaria that are not well documented, but most of the time, their life cycle is fairly limited. Certain stages can be extended or shortened via temperature, but that's usually it.

Quarter7337

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2017
That's what I was thinking as well, and as for the life cycle shortening/extending, since the tank is outside in sunny Fl, it'd be in the 80s for most of the year, and down to the 50s-60s these last 2 months, thus their life cycle would be shortened on top of that.
I'm thinking it's Dero digitata now, as I read up more on daphnia culturing, Dero digitata is often found alongside the daphnia.

killiphil

AC Members
Feb 19, 2017
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Real Name
Philip J. Eversman DDS
If in doubt, bleach it out.
Get a gallon of the cheapest bleach that you can find that doesn't contain any soaps or other chemicals. Empty your tank and scrub it out. Dry it and let it air dry a few days more. Add the full gallon of bleach and add tap water to the rim. Wipe around the rim with the bleach solution. Let the solution sit for a few days, preferably a week. Add water daily to make up for evaporation. Then drain the tank, Rinse it very, very well. Wipe it dry. Let it air dry a day or two and then put it back into service. Most people would agree that this is massive overkill, but you did have a massive catastrophe, so why take chances. Try to get a new daphnia culture from someone who has had a culture going for a while.

killiphil

AC Members
Feb 19, 2017
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Real Name
Philip J. Eversman DDS
On a similar note, I am looking for a daphnia culture in the Indianapolis area also. If anyone knows of someone in the area who has a culture going, please let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store