Crazy well water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah , that's what I'm thinking too, Phil.
Your county health department could probably have it checked for you. If not try your agricultural agent. If they can't help, try the state agencies. For your own sake, and your family's, you need to know what's in your water. Just because the water came out of the ground does not make it safe. Some wells have high concentrations of
atrazine and other ag agents. Some also have heavy metal problems, mine run off problems, etc.

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
I can have the local coop send it in. I am certain it has been tested in the past by my father in law and he never mentioned it being unsuitable for drinking when we moved into the yard. That being said we use RO for drinking water either way(the taste of the well water is not very pleasant).
I can use RO for fish easy enough it is just that our filter is like 10gal per day so it is slow.

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
Here are my test results. Sorry it is a little blurry. Any comments from someone more educated than me? I know sodium is high. TDS is high.

IMG_1646.PNG

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Damn, that is a lot of sodium sulfate. I have seen higher concentrations for sure, but it was in waste water, not groundwater. Are you near any mines by chance? If you are going to be keeping fish like cardinals, I'd recommend getting another RO unit. There are relatively inexpensive units that work well, like the RO Buddie brand. Sodium sulfate is extremely difficult to remove, and your KH would make it difficult to lower your pH.

Reactions: fishorama

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
I am using RO now. My filter is slow but I am just hoarding water in the basement. I will probably eventually upgrade to a faster one. I knew our well wasn't great but didn't think levels were that high. Glad I tested it. I guess we don't drink the water anyway.

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
55 gal tank. So 20 ish gallons depending on how big of a water change. I have an unfinished basement with a 30 gallon drum that I collect water in for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store