Are goldfish agressive?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Carla Cowart

AC Members
Aug 26, 2018
Are goldfish aggressive?
I used to have at least 15 koi in my 800-1000gal pond! I can not believe it but I have started catching my 1' long...fish...and have found that NONE of them have whiskers!! I have about 4-5 fish that are about 12" and about 25 that are from 1" to 6"!! Again, I never bought a fish that didn't have whiskers! NOW it seems most all of my fish do not have whiskers! I am stunned...lol! My big fish are beautiful. One is completely orange. The others range in orange with black spots. But the biggest one is marbleized black and orange.

Also, one of the larger ones is aggressive towards the others. Are goldfish aggressive? I used to have about 3 large completely black koi but they are gone! Should I worry about my "obvious" koi that I still have? My pond has gone through some major changes and though it is most always clear, and I usually sit out in the morning and feed my koi, I have not noticed these changes until now! I'm not sure what is going on but I love the fish I have so I will just go with the flow I guess.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I do believe goldfish form a hierarchy within their group. I know when I kept 4 of them in a 55g for a few years, one was the feistiest. No major aggression thankfully. This is one of the things that makes keeping goldies enjoyable, you typically don't have to worry about aggression.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Goldfish do have a loose hierarchy plus they are relentless when spawning and it is a rough process, koi also.

I'm confused as to the lack of whiskers when you always had them and the disappearances. How long has this pond been running? How big is your biggest fish currently?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store