Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Are goldfish agressive?

Discussion in 'General Cold & Temperate Water' started by Carla Cowart, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Carla Cowart

Carla Cowart AC Members

Sep 3, 2018
    Are goldfish aggressive?
    I used to have at least 15 koi in my 800-1000gal pond! I can not believe it but I have started catching my 1' long...fish...and have found that NONE of them have whiskers!! I have about 4-5 fish that are about 12" and about 25 that are from 1" to 6"!! Again, I never bought a fish that didn't have whiskers! NOW it seems most all of my fish do not have whiskers! I am stunned...lol! My big fish are beautiful. One is completely orange. The others range in orange with black spots. But the biggest one is marbleized black and orange.

Also, one of the larger ones is aggressive towards the others. Are goldfish aggressive? I used to have about 3 large completely black koi but they are gone! Should I worry about my "obvious" koi that I still have? My pond has gone through some major changes and though it is most always clear, and I usually sit out in the morning and feed my koi, I have not noticed these changes until now! I'm not sure what is going on but I love the fish I have so I will just go with the flow I guess.

2. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Yesterday at 8:08 PM
    Joel
    I do believe goldfish form a hierarchy within their group. I know when I kept 4 of them in a 55g for a few years, one was the feistiest. No major aggression thankfully. This is one of the things that makes keeping goldies enjoyable, you typically don't have to worry about aggression.

3. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Nov 25, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    Goldfish do have a loose hierarchy plus they are relentless when spawning and it is a rough process, koi also.

I'm confused as to the lack of whiskers when you always had them and the disappearances. How long has this pond been running? How big is your biggest fish currently?

4. the loach

the loach AC Members

23 minutes ago
    Can you post pictures of the fish?